We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Missed Flight

Mogadishu, Somalia
Missed Flight

I Missed a flight on 1 leg of my journey, I understand to have to re book that flight and pay the days price at the time, but why does the airline cancel ALL my itinerary when they are NOT affected by missing this flight? I had to pay 2,700 euros, as they cancelled all my remaining flights, essentially stranding in Athens with no other option, the days flight price to my next destinations is/was 167.15 euros, how is this legal!? What if I had no funds to pay???

Extremely frustrated and hacked off, please advise.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 74
1. Re: Missed Flight

Hi,

It's all very legal as the contract you entered onto explicit says/said essentially that you were gong to fly A->B->C->B->A or something to that effect

The price that was shown to you - and you paid - reflected several things, notably the competitive forces that are a large driver to prices..

So.. By altering your travel outside of what you argeed to, you've altered the contract. As such, the airline now has the right to invoke the penalties that are provided for.

The fact that you may be using "less" of the/their product is largely moot as that's not how tickets are issued or priced.

Travel Safe,

London, United...
reviews: 23
2. Re: Missed Flight

That's the way it works on connecting tickets. Effectively it's one flight, with stops in between, to go from A to Z. If you miss the first leg, you are a no show and they cancel all remaining legs.

It's also to stop people buying fares that start somewhere because it's cheaper, but plan to get on at a later point.

With all due respect, you obviously did not read the terms and conditions when you bought the ticket, or you would have known this, just ticked the box. Not clever, but then, neither is missing your flight.

Romford, United...
reviews: 22
3. Re: Missed Flight

Those are the rules of the fares and are stated in the terms and conditions you agreed to in your contract of carriage, assuming it is recoverable under the terms of your travel insurance you should get your money back from your insurer(eventually) no money to pay for a new ticket? start walking

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 74
4. Re: Missed Flight

Hi,

Forgot to add..

As to the issue of what happens if you can't pay..

In most cases, unless there is some national or regional law that says otherwise (and usually there isn't) a carrier is not obligated or required to transport you (as a non-national) OUT of a country unless you've paid the applicable fare.

They'd have no liability in denying you travel even if doing so then created a visa/overstay situation with the local immigration officials.

Travel Safe,

Chiang Khong...
reviews: 1
5. Re: Missed Flight

Hi

GOPBI

Is there any valid reason to miss a fight that might make an airline take mercy on you.

car accident,. heart attack. national disaster. I know they do not have too but do some airlines have a heart in special situations

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
6. Re: Missed Flight

I can understand your frustration, but that's how air tickets work (with the exception of the most expensive full fare fully flexible tickets).

The one golden rule you have to follow is to make it to the airport in time for check in, bag drop, (in some cases) security, and boarding. I've failed to show once (all my own fault) and had to buy a new ticket, though fortunately it was a one segment domestic ticket in Thailand (CNX-BKK) and the new ticket was only about $120.

Maybe not directly relevant to the OP's situation but the following points should be heeded -

1. This is why people need to follow the recommendations to be at the airport 3 hours before departure. Because if you allow 3 hours and get delayed by an hour you're still okay. Allow less than 2 hours and be delayed an hour and you could be toast.

2. This is the scenario someone could face (and many have) if you try "connecting" on separate tickets. If you fail to show at check in for the flight on the other ticket - even if that's due to a delay on an inbound flight - you're a no show and can lose the entire ticket.

Mogadishu, Somalia
7. Re: Missed Flight

thank you...

Mogadishu, Somalia
8. Re: Missed Flight

Thanks, but that is my point it is 1 leg, all other flight would have been met if they'd allowed just that ONE flight change and fee…I mean surely its another petty cheap smack on the flyer!!!???

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
9. Re: Missed Flight

Sawadeeka,

The airlines have discretion, and it depends on the circumstances and the situation. If say you're just late, check in has closed, but the ticket is still in the system, they can do something. For example, that could be changing the flights within the ticket rules (change fee and difference in fare) which would have helped the OP a little, IF the ticket hadn't been canceled. But that depends on the OP's situation.

One datapoint - A couple of years ago there was a landslide on the main railway line between London and Gatwick Airport, blocking all trains for half a day. Thousands missed their flights as a result, and from the newspaper reports, British Airways did NOT waive any rules, and pax had to buy new tickets.

Mogadishu, Somalia
10. Re: Missed Flight

I know, this was 1 flight in6, no other timings were affected by this flight being missed, they DONT have to screw you like this.