We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Q about frequent flyer programmes

Adelaide
Q about frequent flyer programmes

Hi. My family is travelling to Phuket from Adelaide for a holiday soon and we were just thinking about frequent flyer points. The flight is with Malaysia Airlines. I have joined us all up to the Malaysia Airlines Enrich ff programme for free. My husband and I were also able to join the Qantas ff one for free too using our Everyday rewards card but would have to pay for the kids. They are both part of the One world alliance so could use either.

So, I was just wondering which frequent flyer programme would be best to use? I tried looking on their websites to see about earning points but couldn't figure it out. Does anybody know if you would get more with Enrich seeing as it's their own flight rather than a partner? Also just wondering if you can pool points as a family?

Thanks for any help/info. We don't have points with either only Velocity Rewards.

14 replies to this topic
Phoenix, AZ
reviews: 143
1. Re: Q about frequent flyer programmes

I fly most often on Star Alliance airlines, with UA being my prime. I concentrate our flights on that one airline, and will even book Star Alliance flights through the UA portal.

I would chose the most likely candidate, and also concentrate on that one airline, even if flying another in their "alliance." That helps maximize the miles/points most quickly. Other things can help, like your credit card. We have two UA-branded cards, and use those for all flights, and often. That way, we get more rewards, most quickly.

As for the two listed programs, I have zero experience with either, but others will be able to help.

I would urge you to also sign up for Mile-Points (free) at http://milepoint.com/forums/. Head to their Airline Programs forums, for those two, and post, asking for advice. There could well be an aspect of one, that might not be obvious. The folk at Mile-Point are very skilled at getting the most miles/points for the money. They have tricks that I would never have considered.

Good reading, and good luck.

Hunt

Winchester, United...
2. Re: Q about frequent flyer programmes

Obvious question but how frequently do you travel? The whole thing is an academic argument if you only fly, say, twice a year. You'll never really earn enough points/miles to makes any half decent redemption and you won't reach any meaningful staus

Edited: 8:55 pm, March 13, 2014
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 6
3. Re: Q about frequent flyer programmes

You should put all of your points in one Frequent Flyer program. Since Malaysia Airlines is a partner of Qantas then the points for that trip should go straight into your Qantas Frequent Flyer account. If they go into your Malaysia Airlines account, then you are wasting them. Points are not easily transferable between different programs. I have heard of a website that allows you to do it, but that requires you to pay a fee, and therefore defeats the entire purpose of frequent flyer points. My recommendation is to ditch the Malaysia Airlines membership, and only use the Qantas membership.

The fact that Malaysia Airlines and Qantas are both OneWorld members does not really help either. They are still separate frequent flyer programs.

Edited: 10:26 pm, March 13, 2014
Sydney, Australia
4. Re: Q about frequent flyer programmes

Another reason to stick only with Qantas in your case is that Woolworths are partnered to Qantas via Everyday Rewards. Malaysia Airlines is not.

Worldwide
reviews: 536
5. Re: Q about frequent flyer programmes

Check to see how many miles you fly per year - and how long points will remain in the systems of various airlines before they expire (if ever, but most airlines have gone to expiration of miles). Also see if there is something you can do to prevent those miles from expiring (like shopping online and linking to the merchant from a shopping feature tied with the FF programmes of some airlines).

Sydney, Australia
6. Re: Q about frequent flyer programmes

Using the Everyday Rewards card every time you shop at Woolworths will prevent your Qantas points from expiring. This is another reason not to use the Malaysia Airlines program. They may be partnered with some businesses in Malaysia, but that is no use if you live in Australia.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
reviews: 501
7. Re: Q about frequent flyer programmes

Definitely join the Qantas FF program especially since MA are partners & you will automatically get points flying with MA anyway.

Adelaide
8. Re: Q about frequent flyer programmes

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think we'll go with the Qantas FF. I've actually just found a link for complimentary Qantas FF membership so now we don't have to pay for the kids either!

Edited: 3:38 am, March 14, 2014
Worldwide
reviews: 536
9. Re: Q about frequent flyer programmes

Check the terms and conditions for your airfare. If the fare is low enough, you may not be earning miles.

Adelaide
10. Re: Q about frequent flyer programmes

Yep, just found that one out. It was a sale fare so no QFF points, but 50% Enrich points….guess that's my answer.

Reply to: Q about frequent flyer programmes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted