We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My thoughts on Air Canada Rouge....

Shelburne, Canada
reviews: 1
My thoughts on Air Canada Rouge....

Just had the Rouge experience...round trip from Grenada.

Knowing going in they crammed another 6 rows of seats into a Airbus A19 was going to make for a very uncomfortable flight and it was...very uncomfortable seats, they say the pitch is 29" but I don`t know about that. I am 5-7" and found it uncomfortable you could not even hold a magazine to read without the seat ahead coming into play.

No inflight entertainment unless you rented their I pads, ran out of beer on the flight down and on the return flight they ran out of food....they offered the wife and I oatmeal and candy for dinner LOL!!! How difficult is it to have enough food on board.

All in all I don`t think I will fly Rouge again especially for a longer flight...there are much better options out there companies that actually care about their customers and their comfort!

If you just want to get there and don`t care about comfort and service etc. then Rouge may be a option but for me Rouge is out!!!

I think Rouge is code for "EL CHEAPO"

Live and learn.

27 replies to this topic
London, United...
reviews: 23
1. Re: My thoughts on Air Canada Rouge....

Why did you book them,,,,because they were cheap?

Shelburne, Canada
reviews: 1
2. Re: My thoughts on Air Canada Rouge....

The wife booked it, I had not even heard of Rouge.

But yes she booked it because it was the lowest priced and it was a direct flight, you get what you pay for and this is especially true for the travel business, and unfortunately customer service in Canada is going the way of the dinosaur!!!

London, United...
reviews: 23
3. Re: My thoughts on Air Canada Rouge....

Yes, that's pretty much it, you get what you pay for. Sadly. But there it is. Only you can decide if the additional cost to fly another airline is worth it for the food, the ife and the seat space of an extra couple of inches max. Many will take the saving, take their own entertainment and take their own sandwiches,,,and take the saving,. It's simply a personal decision. Others will pay the extra for the ife, the food and the couple of inches extra space, if that,

Note though, even more full service carriers run out of food and drink on routes, catering issues I guess, but virgin is renowned for it at the moment.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 41
4. Re: My thoughts on Air Canada Rouge....

The deal with Rouge being low-cost, no frills, no fun, no perks etc etc is not exactly unknown. It was broadcast nationally when it was first created and there have been many posts here (and, I am certain) and on other travel sites too.

Yet my fellow countrymen seem genuinely bewildered when they actually step on a Rouge plane. Its like they have been living in a cave or something for 2 years.

...and good luck finding that mythical airline that actually cares about their "customers and their comfort" in North America. Unless you want to spring for business class....and even then??

Edited: 2:12 pm, March 11, 2014
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 32
5. Re: My thoughts on Air Canada Rouge....

There's a reason for Rouge, Sunwing, et al in the Canadian market...a lot of vacationers are cheapskates who want to get to the sunny south in winter and get away from a brutal winter and pay as little as possible to do it. Not saying that in a negative way, it is just the reality of the marketplace.. The flight is viewed as a negative experience, just something to grit your teeth about and endure as best you can. The average flight is 4 to 5.5 hours at most and then a week or 2 at at all inclusive or head on a cruise.

All in all, the prices are good and the airlines have clearly determined price is the factor, not comfort...and I guess many people agree with that.. They will suffer 10 hours on a plane round trip to get away from the snow at a reasonable price

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 41
6. Re: My thoughts on Air Canada Rouge....

Flying anywhere unless you're lounging around on, say Singapore Airlines in First Class, is just something to be endured. I don't understand why people have such unrealistic expectations. Just take a book, feed yourself at the airport and expect to be a bit squashed most of the time.

I have flown "South" over the last few years on AC, Westjet, American and United and they were all just bearable.

Hamilton, Canada
reviews: 6
7. Re: My thoughts on Air Canada Rouge....

I have traveled with AC Rouge three times this winter. Each flight was worse than the one before. The only deciding factor was a direct flight to my destination. The seats are unbelievably uncomfortable, cramped and dirty. The entertainment content is deplorable notwithstanding you need to supply your own device. However, the worst insult is the total lack of scheduling ability. The service is ALWAYS delayed!!!!I Will never travel Rouge ever again.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
8. Re: My thoughts on Air Canada Rouge....

Hi,

I think #5 is spot on

AC has taken a close hard look at what their market wants -- and perhaps more importantly, are willing to pay for; and do so on a reliable long-term basis -- on those kinds of leisure routes..

And as ugly as it may be, the reality in these kinds of predominately leisure markets says that on the cost side that the carriers have got to go with a high-density seating capacity and with a reduced (or for fee-based) onboard service product.

Lots of carriers have tried run a ful-service operation to leisure markets, but I suspect the end results of this says that the market won't and doesn't support the fare levels they need to offer it.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 2:01 am, March 16, 2014
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
9. Re: My thoughts on Air Canada Rouge....

Generally a good post OP**.

As I see it, part of the problem (especially when AC started Rouge) is/was that people book(ed) on Air Canada's website and expected AC full service (which is very good) but got Rouge. In the early days full service AC was switched to Rouge, meaning many pax were "downguaged".

It will be interesting to see how this works out. Mainline carriers have tried to operate a low cost carrier within an airline and failed (United/Ted, Delta/Song). Thai is trying it right now with ThaiSmile.

** - though there's no way they could cram six extra rows of seats into the plane. More like six seats (one row) which would reduce the overall seat pitch by 1-1.5 inches.

Edited: 4:51 am, March 16, 2014
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
10. Re: My thoughts on Air Canada Rouge....

Hi,

I agree with USBT in that it's hard for a carrier to "change" or "convert" a part of their former mainline operation, and make it a LCC-styled product as there will be some who booked earlier *before* the conversion and were/are expecting a mainline style product but get a LCC-styled product.

To this end, my own personal opinion here is that IF a carrier were do this, I think the rule if you will, should be that if you booked before the announced change, you have the option of a fee-free refund should you want to book and stay with a regular mainline type operation and not go with what will now be a LCC.

I also think there's some structural differences between DLs and UAs attempts (DLs Song and UAs Ted) versus Thai's Smile

Both DL and UA used wholly mainline aircraft (mainline cost), mainline crew (both flight deck and cabin crew) and mainline facilities ... Yes, they did adjust some of the product, but most of the major cost components were still at the mainline cost levels.

Thai's Smile is quite different.. Their A320's are exclusive to the LCC arm-- they aren't used in the mainline operation and can't be interchanged with other mainline equipment. If the Smile A320 goes bad, that's it, they can't swap it for a regular TG aircraft as the Smile crews aren't certified to operate other models.

The flight deck and cabin crew are paid on a wholly different - and lower - wage scale as compared to the mainline crews. They also are not interchangeable or combinable with mainline crew.

Smile does use TGs ground services and facilities - as there are no airports in Thailand that feature (like KUL and SIN) both a regular and LCC terminal complex

Travel Safe,

Reply to: My thoughts on Air Canada Rouge....
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted