We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware using Tripsta! Poor site & customer service.

reviews: 4
Beware using Tripsta! Poor site & customer service.

I have recently used Tripsta, an online booking agent, to book flights on Virgin Australia from Sydney to Wellington. I had selected the flights using skyscanner on the iPad and Tripsta was the default booking site associated with that flight.

I proceeded through the booking process without apparent problems, but upon receiving confirmation of the flights, noted that no checked-in luggage had been included in the booking. I repeated the booking process and indeed, luggage was never mentioned at any stage of the booking process. I'd used Tripsta just a few weeks prior to book some other flights and in that instance baggage WAS included, so naturally my assumption was that it would be.

I queried this with the Tripsta customer service team and they pointed out that the baggage policy for this flight was tucked away in the back of the terms and conditions and that I would need to buy baggage directly from the airline. My suggestion to them was that checked in baggage was very fundamental to the booking process and to exclude it, without notifying the customer, could be considered misleading. Addtionally, they refused to purchase the baggage on my behalf from the airline, even though the airline told me that they were only able to deal directly with the agent.

Unfortunately, dealing with the customer service team was a frustrating and fruitless experience. Often the responses were slow and when they did respond, the answers were often little more than generic template responses that did not address my specific situation or questions. At the end of a month of correspondence, I did not have any assurance that the issue was being looked at, or would be addressed.

In the end, I wasn't able to buy any baggage prior to the flight meaning I had to pay an extortionate fee at the airport. I was left about $120 out of pocket from using Tripsta instead of going directly to the Virgin website.

My advice is to avoid this agency altogether. They are clearly not a customer-centric company and have no interest in correcting an issue where customers are being mislead - be it intentionally or not.

Overall, this was an extremely disappointing and frustrating experience.

34 replies to this topic
UK
reviews: 87
1. Re: Beware using Tripsta! Poor site & customer service.

My advice is to avoid this agency altogether.

======

My advice is to book directly with the airline rather than try to save a few bucks and then discover that there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Yours is the latest in a long line of posts from people who lost money (oftentimes the whole sum not just a measly 120 bucks so I reckon you got off lightly) because they just booked with whoever presented them the lowest apparent price and did no research at all on who they were buying from or what they got for that.

Edited: 3:50 am, March 11, 2014
Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
2. Re: Beware using Tripsta! Poor site & customer service.

"I'd used Tripsta just a few weeks prior to book some other flights and in that instance baggage WAS included, so naturally my assumption was that it would be." - You should never make assumptions about what's included - some airlines include baggage in the ticket price, others do not.

"I had selected the flights using skyscanner on the iPad and Tripsta was the default booking site associated with that flight." - More likely that Tripsta had paid most to feature prominently on skyskanner - in my view there is no such thing as a default booking site, it's always best to buy direct from the airline.

Kerikeri, New...
3. Re: Beware using Tripsta! Poor site & customer service.

My experience was the same ,these are the rules we thank you for your comments ,our web site we under stand ,we cant help it if you dont,sorry for your frustrations and out of pocket baggage expence.VIRGIN ARE SHOOTING THEMSELVES IN THE FOOT ALLOWING THESE RATBAGS SELLING TICKETS.How ever i believe VIRGIN is hopefully getting the message dont use" TRICKSTA"i HAVE TOLD TRIPSTA SUPERVISOR they should have had clearly on all there stupid NO BAGGAGE tickets NO BAGGAGE!!!!!

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 12
4. Re: Beware using Tripsta! Poor site & customer service.

Is there a full moon tonight?

-JimG

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 23
5. Re: Beware using Tripsta! Poor site & customer service.

Skyscanner simply lists all the airlines and prices for your chosen flight date; there is no search option for "baggage included" etc so you really need to check exactly what you're buying before you pay, even more so for 3rd party websites. Just don't buy through 3rd party websites unless they're is a very good reason. The only one I occasionally use is STA travel because they give me significantly discounted rates for being a student and I've booked through them several several times without issue.

Edited: 9:46 pm, April 18, 2014
reviews: 5
6. Re: Beware using Tripsta! Poor site & customer service.

I also feel incredibly let down by Tripsta's customer service and would not recommend them to anyone. Please read my experience below carefully before even thinking about using them:

I had booked flights with the MoneyBack Guarantee for my parents to travel to London and two days before the flight, my mother had a sudden cardiac condition and was hospitalised as an outpatient where she was instructed not to travel. I spoke to Tripsta and cancelled their flights in advance.

I then asked for a refund and provided a hospital report and a medical certificate. Tripsta have added in their small print that they can keep asking for more evidence until they feel satisfied and have since used this in their advantage to not honour the Guarantee hoping that their endless requests for additional documents will make customers give up. They have made me go back to the doctor on several occasions, forcing me to waste his time which should be spent on patient care.

Tripsta has been such an extremely disappointing and frustrating experience for my family and the hospital, I truly regret using them in the first place.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
reviews: 69
7. Re: Beware using Tripsta! Poor site & customer service.

Fadi, why did you book with them? Did you not do some research ahead of time to find out whether the company had issues?

reviews: 5
8. Re: Beware using Tripsta! Poor site & customer service.

I tried to find reviews for them but very few which is why I have posted my experience in order to help others.

molesey
reviews: 1
9. Re: Beware using Tripsta! Poor site & customer service.

I agree . I booked a flight ( British Airways ) from London to Scotland with Tripsta in Feb 2014. the Booking Reference code which Tripsta provided was not recognised or accepted for the on-line check-in and this ultimately caused me a delay which meant I missed my flight.

Furthermore I later found that the flight was listed on my bank statement as being to Athens Greece ( for the same price ) - which may possibly explain the Booking Ref. problem. Not a reliable service.

Edited: 11:57 am, June 25, 2014
Cala d'Or, Spain
reviews: 89
10. Re: Beware using Tripsta! Poor site & customer service.

#9, I cannot for the life of me understand why you did not book directly with BA.

Why use a third party site like Tripsta.

Reply to: Beware using Tripsta! Poor site & customer service.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted