We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying with an Aircast

Kettering
reviews: 24
Flying with an Aircast

Hi, we fly to New York in four weeks. My daughter is about to go into an Aircast to help with stabilisation and pain in her ankle, while she waits for surgery.

I plan on phoning BA's medical clearance department to check that they will allow to fly, but does anyone have any experience with Aircasts and how Airlines view them in terms of being able to travel?

If it comes to it she can leave it off for the flight and just manage on her crutches, but I really don't want to turn up and be sent away.

Any reassurance appreciated!!

8 replies to this topic
Kettering
1. Re: Flying with an Aircast

I should say we have considered cancelling, but she is a whizz on crutches and wants to go regardless!!

Romford, United...
reviews: 23
2. Re: Flying with an Aircast

I've travelled with a removable leg cast and crutches with BA (fractured tibia) and had no problem apart from them insisting I use airport assistance wheelchair after check-in (as a precaution) but my main concern would be how much it's going to cost for travel insurance as a pre-existing condition awaiting surgery

Chester, United...
Destination Expert
for Cheshire
3. Re: Flying with an Aircast

Yes I've done it too - fractured tibia. No real problems with the airlines. It's a few years back and I flew transatlantic with BMI then US domestic with United. I had a doctor's letter saying I was fit to fly but no-one asked for it. I did notify my travel insurance and they were OK about it too.

The one thing I will advise is to allow lots of extra time at the airport. Moving around a crowded busy airport on crutches takes time. Other passengers don't care about you. They just push past.

Good luck.

Kettering
4. Re: Flying with an Aircast

Travel insurance is fine. I've spoken to them, and as she didn't have the problem when we booked the holiday it doesn't class as a pre-existing condition. The insurance is through the bank so was already in force.

Hadn't considered a 'fit to fly' letter, will see what BA say.

Thanks both of you, probably worrying unnecessarily!!

Romford, United...
reviews: 23
5. Re: Flying with an Aircast

One other point don't forget to mention your daughters problem on the advanced passenger information as your party will most probably get priority boarding (first on/last off) and and an aisle seat for her plus you may get directed to a shorter line for queueing on arrival at INS NY

Kettering
6. Re: Flying with an Aircast

Good advice, thank you :-)

Kettering
7. Re: Flying with an Aircast

I rang BA and it's not an issue for them, although they did say a fit to fly note might be an idea 'just in case' so I have requested one from her consultant. Will definitely put the details on the API

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply.

bradford
reviews: 6
8. Re: Flying with an Aircast

Ask for assistance. Its free and makes it easier at check in boarding and passport control. I speak from experience. Okay so you on plane first and off last but luggage is waiting for you.lol

Reply to: Flying with an Aircast
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted