We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aegean Airlines

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
reviews: 22
Aegean Airlines

One of their T&Cs is that you cannot check a bag containing food in Liquid or semi-liquid form. I know people who have had olive oil confiscated at the check in when they've admitted having it and others who have sailed straight through when they've denied it.

I have to fly with this airline soon and want to bring back a bottle of malt whisky which I had to leave in the UK on my last visit. I can't carry it in my hand luggage but it seems I can't check it either.

I don't want to lose it but I don't want to leave it either. How do I get round this without lying through my teeth if anyone asks me?

9 replies to this topic
London, United...
reviews: 23
1. Re: Aegean Airlines

Edited

Edited: 1:37 am, March 07, 2014
London, United...
2. Re: Aegean Airlines

Sorry edited as wrong link, anyway, my question was are you sure, and can you post a link, as it looks pretty standard to me,

…aegeanair.com/travel-information/…

Loughborough...
reviews: 19
3. Re: Aegean Airlines

I don't see how they would possibly know that you had malt whisky in your hold baggage unless you told them.

Yes, hold baggage is X-rayed at the departure airport, but other airlines do allow bottles, and most airports have a central scanning point so the scanners have no idea where an individual bag is going unless they pull it because they see something that looks like a bomb. In any case the scanners work for the airport.

I've travelled on Aegean many times over the last 16 years and never been asked this question when checking bags either in the UK or in Greece. Indeed although I'm one of those tiresome people who read the T&Cs I'd not spotted it there either.

Sounds like the condition is designed to avoid liability for consequential damage should a bottle break..

Loughborough...
reviews: 19
4. Re: Aegean Airlines

Just to add, the condition Froggy kindly linked to wasn't there when I last looked a few years ago. If it was added more than 2 years ago, I've broken it, as I've taken foodstuffs in jars from LHR to ATH. I used the air-filled plastic tubes that some laser printer toner cartridges come it, inside a double layer of plastic bags.

UK
reviews: 46
5. Re: Aegean Airlines

We travelled with Aegean last September from Athens, with olive oil, ouzo and cartons of Noy Noy milk (trying and failing to re-create a frappe!) but we were never asked about the contents of the case at check in, and we were also unaware of this rule.

We are also travelling from Madrid to Athens in 2 weeks with them, and hope to take a bottle or 2 of wine with us, I too may have to 'lie'!!

London, United...
6. Re: Aegean Airlines

Well the terms and conditions for hold luggage I posted state food can be taken in liquid form if packaged correctly and that alcohol is permitted unless above 140 percent proof,,,I can't see where it says that liquids are banned. It specifically states they are allowed.

Hence the request for the op to post the link. they are looking at. Cabin baggage, obviously yes, normal restrictions apply, but not for hold/checked luggage?

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
reviews: 22
7. Re: Aegean Airlines

This seems to be the relevant part:

>Foodstuffs in semi-solid or liquid form must be suitably packed in wooden cases with absorbent material to avoid any leakage which might cause damage to the property of others.<

The bottle in question comes in the bottlers' standard packaging which is a sturdy cardboard cylinder with a metal cap. There's no reason to think that it might cause a problem but this stuff isn't cheap and I don't want to lose it. It's the 'wooden' bit that's tricky.

Maybe it's just the Aegean staff at the Athens check in who are doing this as I've never had this issue with any other airline flying in or out of Greece.

London, United...
8. Re: Aegean Airlines

Eh? Ok, that's slightly different to your op. Personally I would just pack it as is, otherwise just ask an off licence if they have any wooden bottle boxes. Not really a big deal.

Southampton, United...
9. Re: Aegean Airlines

Hello,

I believe that it is there for liability claims if something gets damaged. However, regarding alcohol specifically, by law you cannot carry a bottle larger than 1 litre I believe or greater than 40% alcohol. If you do carry it, if it is in a cylinder, make sure to wrap it well with a plastic bag and make it as airtight as you can. Also make sure to pack it between your clothes and not at the edges (make sure there are clothes all around, top bottom included), as it may brake during baggage handling which is more like throwing. I believe that even if you tell them the check in guys will help you towards carrying your bottle, if it is only one and not an excessive quantity. I've carried in the past one bottle with no problem. The clerk asked me some questions regarding the quantity and the percentage but they did not give me any trouble.

In general airlines are a bit afraid of flammables in the cargo hold, and with good reason as a large fire is uncontrollable and will degrade the hull very quickly.

If you are flying from Heathrow, you check in at the star alliance H check in, which also has an automated check in system where you just leave your baggage in the rolling corridor (or if you have checked in online). They may open your bag to see what it is, but I find it unlikely they will remove it.

Edited: 10:10 pm, May 22, 2014
Reply to: Aegean Airlines
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted