We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadian Permanent holding Indian Passport.

Kearney, Nebraska
reviews: 3
Canadian Permanent holding Indian Passport.

Hi,

I am traveling to India thru London Heath row Airport and I have long haul of 23 hrs before catching another flight to india.

Being a Canadian Permanent Resident, do I have to apply for transit visa for going out for sightseeing.

Please let me know so that I can decide to change my flight ticket.

Thanks

HK

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
1. Re: Canadian Permanent holding Indian Passport.

I have no idea what "Canadian Permanent Resident" means but assuming you are travelling on an Indian Passport then you will need a tourist visa to enter the UK.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
reviews: 10
2. Re: Canadian Permanent holding Indian Passport.

Canadian Permanent Residency only applies for Canada - it means absolutely nothing outside of Canada. As you are an Indian Passport holder, you'll need to verify with the UK gov't whether you need a transit visa, tourist visa or what. Here's the website to find out: https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y. From what I could gather, you will need a transit visa - however, no one here is a gov't official, this is a travel opinion website. You need to check directly with the UK gov't to be certain.

UK
reviews: 90
3. Re: Canadian Permanent holding Indian Passport.

Not so quick Tom ISTR this coming up recently and a permanent resident card did give some additional privileges. Try this https:/…no

This assumes a through ticket with luggage checked through. Go back to the start for different answers

Edited: 3:56 pm, March 06, 2014
Liverpool, UK
4. Re: Canadian Permanent holding Indian Passport.

joeintheuk

As the OP was talking about sightseeing during his layover I assumed he would need more than a transit visa if he wanted to enter the UK.

https:/…tourism

UK
reviews: 90
5. Re: Canadian Permanent holding Indian Passport.

My mistake totally. Shouldn't be watching the tv and reading at the same time.

Liverpool, UK
6. Re: Canadian Permanent holding Indian Passport.

joe

You should know by now that men are incapable of multitasking - well that's what my wife says.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
7. Re: Canadian Permanent holding Indian Passport.

krharikiran,

Whatever information we give here, you must verify it with the appropriate authorities. the UK Border website Joe has pointed to you is official, but check yourself and call and ask questions if need be.

As you have a 23 hour layover you won't be able to transit airside, as the airside sections of the terminals close overnight. So you need to change the selection in that link Joe provided to state that you will need to pass through UK Border Control, which gives this - https:/…yes . So you will either have visa free transit or you'd need to apply for a visa.

As another point of reference, here is the information from Timatic (the database used by the airlines when checking your documentation at check in). I put the USA as a departure point as your profile says Nebraska. It appears to align with the link above. But also note that the TWOV concession requires that you "have no purpose in entering the United Kingdom other than to pass through in transit".

"/ 06MAR14 / 2106 UTC

National India (IN) /Residence Canada (CA)

Embarkation USA (US) /Transit United Kingdom (GB)

Destination India (IN)

United Kingdom (GB)

TWOV (Transit Without Visa):

Visa required, except for Passengers who may be granted permission by the Immigration authorities to enter the United Kingdom, for a stay not exceeding 24 hours.

The following conditions must be complied with:

- passengers hold confirmed reservations for an onward flight within 24 hours; and

- continue to a third country; and

- have no purpose in entering the United Kingdom other than to pass through in transit; and

- hold all documents required for the next destination.

- ***Warning*** Nationals of India may use this administrative concession (TWOV) above if holding a valid Canadian Permanent Resident Card, issued on or after June 28, 2002.

NOTE 43636: This applies to holders of normal passports issued to nationals of India."

Edited: 4:21 pm, March 06, 2014
UK
reviews: 26
8. Re: Canadian Permanent holding Indian Passport.

So, to summarise... there is an administrative concession whereby someone in the OP's situation may be allowed to enter the UK, at the Immigration Officer's discretion, if the only purpose of their stay is to pass through in transit.

What this means for the OP is that "I have a 23 hour lay-over and I am booked at the XYZ Hotel" is likely to get him into the UK - whereas "I have a 23 hour lay-over and I want to do some sight-seeing" will not (as sight-seeing does not come under "only purpose of their stay is to pass through in transit"). Subtle but important difference! Once you're in the UK you are, of course, free to take a walk around London.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
9. Re: Canadian Permanent holding Indian Passport.

Good point Aviatrix. The other thing that would cross my mind (and so may cross the UK Border officer's mind) is "Why have you booked a 23 hour layover when there are earlier onward connections?" (if that is the case). If asked, you will need to answer. And, in order to demonstrate that your sole purpose is transit at Heathrow it may be advisable to have a confirmed booking at a hotel at or around Heathrow, rather than in central London and certainly somewhere further away that would raise suspicions.

10. Re: Canadian Permanent holding Indian Passport.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, March 10, 2015