We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avios or open ended return flight to New Zealand

Cirencester, United...
reviews: 28
Avios or open ended return flight to New Zealand

Hello, has anyone booked a one way ticket to New Zealand with Avios points? I can find a ticket to Singapore and would be happy to pay onward flight, but wondered if there is another option (eg someone said going via America?) Also, if I book and pay for return flight with BA to Auckland, is it possible 1) to upgrade from Economy to PE with Avios points 2) book an 'open ended' ticket. If not possible to book an open ended ticket, is it possible to make the return date quite a distance in the future and change the ticket when I know what date I will be returning? Just making initial enquiries really, and wonder if any of you knowledgeable ladies and gents can help. Thank you.

7 replies to this topic
1. Re: Avios or open ended return flight to New Zealand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 am, March 06, 2014

2. Re: Avios or open ended return flight to New Zealand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 am, March 06, 2014

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 40
3. Re: Avios or open ended return flight to New Zealand

(I have no idea what the first two posts are about at all!)

BA do not fly to Auckland themselves. You would need to fly to Hong Kong or Sydney on BA and then connect to probably either Cathay Pacific or Qantas to get to Auckland, so 2 stops minimum. Avios can be used on partner airlines, but the BA or Avios websites are really unhelpful for making this kind of booking, it's best to call and speak to somebody.

Only the most expensive economy tickets are allowed to be upgraded to PE (or WT+ as BA calls it) with Avios. These are usually more expensive than discounted WT+ tickets bought for money, which would then earn Avios instead.

What do you mean by an open ended ticket? One with an open return date for flexibility? This would always be a very expensive option.

I'm sure others will add more info than I know.

SWT

Cirencester, United...
4. Re: Avios or open ended return flight to New Zealand

Thanks for your reply SWT (the 2 posts removed were from the same person informing us that they were from India..) The ticket will actually be for my son, who is hopefully working in NZ - hence the query about the 'open ended' ticket.. If I wanted to book and pay for a one way ticket, it costs about 3 times as much as for a return ticket. Your advice about telephoning Avios is appreciated - I will do that and see what they say.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
reviews: 42
5. Re: Avios or open ended return flight to New Zealand

We are going to New Zealand and found it easier to book to Australia with our Avios. We will buy a ticket from there to NZ.

It is really easy to book with Avios right on the BA website. And the nice thing is you can book one way at a time, for half the cost of a return flight. He can fly to Sydney on the direct flight (50K Avios plus some money, or fewer Avios and more money). ) or with a change in Hong Kong and from there on Cathay Pacific. Costs a bit more in Avios and money, but there is lots more availability.

Then when he knows when he will be coming back, you can book the return, also with Avios to gets the benefit of the one-way pricing.

Cirencester, United...
6. Re: Avios or open ended return flight to New Zealand

Thanks Enzian, I will have a look now, much appreciated.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 40
7. Re: Avios or open ended return flight to New Zealand

Yes, booking BA only flights using Avois is easy directly on the website. My comments to phone related specifically if you wish to book on partner airlines or a flight combo that includes partner airlines all using only or partly Avios.

You can even see dates with flight availability for other dates than your first choice, when there's no availability on the specific date you entered on the screen.

SWT

Reply to: Avios or open ended return flight to New Zealand
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted