We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to WA, USA any tips?

Cleethorpes, United...
Traveling to WA, USA any tips?

Long story short have fallen for a girl who lives near Seattle, WA and with the exorbitant price of flights to and from the US really I need help getting there. Tickets for an 18 hour connecting flight with a stop-off in Pennsylvania on comparison sites come out as £500 which is just ridiculous considering and Icelandair who do fly from Reykjavík for a well priced direct flight pose the problem of getting out to Reykjavík and getting home from Reykjavíc. Any tips for me looking, any money saving hints or little ways any of you might have saved money traveling to and from Europe or the US? I'm not an experienced flyer but can get to pretty much any airport in the UK if it saves me some money. Thanks.

Edited: 12:09 pm, March 05, 2014
43 replies to this topic
Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
reviews: 69
1. Re: Traveling to WA, USA any tips?

Not sure what dates you are looking for, but the best I could find around the June time-frame was Heathrow into Bellingham (just north of Seattle) with BA and Alaskan, for £713 - I would say that the £500 flight is quite reasonable.

In October, for example, the prices are lower - closer to £550, but I haven't been able to find anything sub £500

So if you are flexible on dates, it's definitely worthwhile exploring how the prices change with the seasons.

For the distance that really doesn't seem to be that high a price to me... and anyway, how do you put a price on True Love?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds
reviews: 105
2. Re: Traveling to WA, USA any tips?

"Tickets for an 18 hour connecting flight with a stop-off in Pennsylvania on comparison sites come out as £500 which is just ridiculous"

___

Why is it ridiculous? Airlines don't charge airfare per mile, they charge what market forces dictate.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
3. Re: Traveling to WA, USA any tips?

"Tickets for an 18 hour connecting flight with a stop-off in Pennsylvania on comparison sites come out as £500 which is just ridiculous"

I think you'll find £500 is a very good price for a return flight to Seattle from the UK - if you were very lucky you might find it at a marginally lower price but it's far more likely that it would be a lot more expensive.

Beverley, United...
reviews: 78
4. Re: Traveling to WA, USA any tips?

£500 to Seattle is a good price in my opinion.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
5. Re: Traveling to WA, USA any tips?

£500 sounds very cheap, you're going to struggle to get much better than that. If that's "ridiculous" in your eyes then you're going to be pretty disappointed regardless of how you look at it. Swot up on the frequent flyer programmes and start using one to save your miles up. Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan would be a good place to start.

Women are expensive, get used to it....and in your case that's before you even get to see her!

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
6. Re: Traveling to WA, USA any tips?

"Women are expensive, get used to it" - lol

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
reviews: 32
7. Re: Traveling to WA, USA any tips?

Tip? Bring an umbrella...it rains a lot there.

You are flying what 6 or 7000 miles one way so your 500 fare sounds cheap to me.

UK
reviews: 9
8. Re: Traveling to WA, USA any tips?

I agree that £500 sounds pretty good.

Have a look at Aer Lingus from Dublin or Shannon, or Norwegian from Gatwick when their flights start (Aer Lingus for New York or Boston, Norwegian for Fort Lauderdale, Los Angeles and New York from the summer) - they offer pretty reasonable one-way flights, so you may be able to link these together in to something more cost-effective.

Just don't let on to US immigration you're visiting a girl, they may think you're likely to over stay your allowed time in the country.

Romford, United...
reviews: 23
9. Re: Traveling to WA, USA any tips?

You've not said when you intend to travel but £500 is a good deal, if it's a direct quote from the carrier I'd grab it-failing that why not consider HUM-AMS-SEA with KLM short overall flying time plus no time lost or money spent in travelling to and from airports in the UK

Edited: 2:56 pm, March 05, 2014
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
10. Re: Traveling to WA, USA any tips?

You really need to mention when you're flying and for how long, or is this a single/one-way trip? (In which case visa issues will ensue.)

I can see numerous return fares from Dublin to Vancouver BC for £450 or less in April or November, around 150-200 quid more in the (peak) summer season. These are all between £200 and £300 less than comparable dates from the UK (MAN or LHR) so assuming you could get to Dublin cheaply (Ryan etc.) and assuming your beloved would schlep up to Vancouver to collect you, there ya go.

But more information from you will generate better answers.

>> You are flying what 6 or 7000 miles one way so your 500 fare sounds cheap to me. <<

4800 from LHR to SEA.

Edited: 3:05 pm, March 05, 2014
Reply to: Traveling to WA, USA any tips?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted