We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights from Sydney Aust to Europe not via Dubai

Sydney Australia
reviews: 18
Flights from Sydney Aust to Europe not via Dubai

Hi

I really hate the long first leg flights due to a bad back so trying to avoid Emirates and Qantas.

I am going to Bratislava (family visit) in October and trying to find a good option now that MH no longer fly into Milan or Rome which have been my pervious routes. Bratislava does not (or did not) have an international airport so we usually fly to Vienna and take a train.

Any suggestions of good cities to fly into for this trip. I plan on visiting Prague and Milan as part of my journey and am not averse to a stopover someone interesting so open to any suggestions at this point.

The travel agents I have spoken to have been pretty uninterested in finding me any options that are not via dubai that is cost and time effective.

I am a one world member but this is not a deal breaker.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

10 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
reviews: 22
1. Re: Flights from Sydney Aust to Europe not via Dubai

You have a huge choice - but all will involve flights as long as the one to Dubai

Malaysia

Singapore

Cathay

KLM/Air France

Air China

Ethiad

British Airways

etc. etc...

Why don't you got to a booking site - ie. skyscanners and see your options

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 36
2. Re: Flights from Sydney Aust to Europe not via Dubai

Cathay Pacific fly into Rome and Milan via Hong Kong, and they are OneWorld. Other possible options may be Singapore Airlines or if you are looking for cheap, Air China.

Check out skyscanner to see if any other airlines/prices might be convenient to you.

http://www.skyscanner.com.au/

Sydney Australia
3. Re: Flights from Sydney Aust to Europe not via Dubai

I have been in skyscanner for weeks. I just wondered what cities people thought were a good idea.

My old tip was 8 to KL then 11 to Rome from memory - no ghastly 12 hour+ legs. I don't mind breaking the flight with an overnight stop. It might not sound like a big deal but those extra house of being still usually put my back into bad spasms that make the first few days of our holiday pretty awful. If only I could afford flatbed fares.

Cathay is out in front at the moment but I wondered about other interesting options that's all.

Dubai, United Arab...
reviews: 12
4. Re: Flights from Sydney Aust to Europe not via Dubai

You can still take Qantas/Emirates but instead of flying direct SYD - DXB, you can opt for either:

SYD - SIN - DXB - VIE/PRA/MXP

or

SYD - BKK - DXB - VIE/PRA/MXP

That would break the journey into 8/9 hours - 7 hours - 7 hours on the way out. Just saw that they have the above as one of the options available on Matrix.

Sydney Australia
5. Re: Flights from Sydney Aust to Europe not via Dubai

Thank you! I will play around on Matrix

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
6. Re: Flights from Sydney Aust to Europe not via Dubai

One not mentioned in post #1 is Thai Airways. They code share with Austrian/Tyrolean between Bangkok and Vienna, so that's a good one stop option.

And Korean Air via Incheon will get you one stop to Vienna and Prague. A somewhat longer first leg than to SE Asia though (though don't forget their layover hotel offer if the connection is 8 hours or longer).

7. Re: Flights from Sydney Aust to Europe not via Dubai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:56 am, February 26, 2014
Edited: 2:56 am, February 26, 2014

Limerick, Ireland
8. Re: Flights from Sydney Aust to Europe not via Dubai

Qatar Airways, fly to Milan MXP via Doha and Perth

Oneworld member

9. Re: Flights from Sydney Aust to Europe not via Dubai

Thanks everyone. Plenty of options to check out. Finnair syd-hkg-hel-Prague is cheapest and only 2 x9 hour leg with a 2.5hr to finish.

No one mentioned them. Are they ok?

10. Re: Flights from Sydney Aust to Europe not via Dubai

I have no idea why I have become emerald126?

Reply to: Flights from Sydney Aust to Europe not via Dubai
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted