We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Second form of I.D, for air travel

Hastings, United...
Second form of I.D, for air travel

I am planning on a trip to the US and saw that a second form of I.D. will be required to travel. Can anyone tell me what forms of I.D. would be accepted?

Thanks.

16 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
1. Re: Second form of I.D, for air travel

You will need your passport and, if a UK citizen or of a country in the Visa Waiver Program, you will need an ESTA. But an ESTA isn't a second form if ID, it's an authorization to travel.

Apply for the ESTA here (the US CBP website), and nowhere else - https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

Edited: 9:18 pm, February 25, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
2. Re: Second form of I.D, for air travel

I haven't heard of this - and have never offered 2 forms of ID.

Who do you think is asking, your airline or the US border people?

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
3. Re: Second form of I.D, for air travel

We're heading off to the US soon and have never heard of this requirement. Can you tell us where you saw it?

Usually the only form of ID ever asked for are passports.

Phoenix, AZ
reviews: 142
4. Re: Second form of I.D, for air travel

McVisor,

I think that it might depend on where one holds citizenship, and a Passport.

Being US citizens, we have never needed more than our US Passports to the UK, or Europe, though did need Visas (electronic) for OZ.

Coming BACK to the US, all we need are our GOES cards, but we have our US Passports handy, just in case.

For "foreign" travelers to the US, there might well be different requirements?

Hunt

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
5. Re: Second form of I.D, for air travel

Thrr

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
6. Re: Second form of I.D, for air travel

There is no general requirement that you have two forms of ID to enter the US. I think it's most likely you misunderstood something you read or heard.

Atlanta, Georgia
7. Re: Second form of I.D, for air travel

Actually Bill_Hunt, I am a foreigner and have to show my green card as well to enter the US - but that's not to ID myself and I can't enter with that alone.

The whole system wouldn't work if nations didn't recognize each other's passports.

The phrase "2 forms of ID" does seem vaguely familiar and may relate/have related to some other internal US bureaucratic event, but I can't think what. Getting a social security card? Applying for a US passport? Collecting one's dry cleaning?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
8. Re: Second form of I.D, for air travel

"The phrase "2 forms of ID" does seem vaguely familiar and may relate/have related to some other internal US bureaucratic event,"

Some bars and night clubs require two forms of ID for "under 30/28/26 <delete as appropriate> " but that invariably refers to the risk of fake US driver's licenses (often in someone else's name). And the "second form of ID" is usually something with your name on it, such as a credit card.

The only other internal bureaucratic event I can think of would be renting a car, for which a rather obvious other form of ID is required.

Edited: 11:57 pm, February 25, 2014
London, United...
reviews: 22
9. Re: Second form of I.D, for air travel

I'm british, live in Brussels, travel to the states regularly. Although I have to show my Belgian I.d at Brussels airport, have only ever needed to show my passport when entering the us, or when departing from uk.

I suspect the op has misread something. Hopefully they will come back and confirm.

Illinois
reviews: 16
10. Re: Second form of I.D, for air travel

You need multiple forms of ID to get a driver's license (hard to come up with at 16, I might add). Also to get a passport, I think. Some of them are really proof of something else though, like address or citizenship.

Reply to: Second form of I.D, for air travel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted