We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights from London (LHR) to Durango Colorado (DRO)

Oxfordshire, United...
reviews: 130
Flights from London (LHR) to Durango Colorado (DRO)

We are intending to travel from London (LHR) to Durango La Plata (DRO) on Monday 2 June 2014 and returning on Monday 23 June 2014. These dates are flexible, so if deals arise by travelling on different days of the week, we are willing to change.

Whenever I look at diifferent web sites, I find all present me with itineraries of 2 stops and take more than 16 + hours. Typically via Chicago or Newark or others, then to Denver and then finally to Durango. Some of the stopovers are as little as 50 minutes. This in my view is cutting it too fine.

I know that I can fly direct to Denver (and return) by British Airways in around 9 hours. When I log onto the BA site to try and book directly through to Durango (DRO) with a short stopover at Denver, it cannot be done because they (BA) do not have an agreement with a US carrier for this very short final leg of the journey that only takes 75 minutes by air.

Is it possible for me to book a return ticket through an agency in the UK for this complete return trip to Durango (DRO) telling them what I wish to do, without paying over the top for the handing, or can I book independently with BA to Denver and then book on a US web site for the last leg to Durango using my credit card?

Please note. I am an experienced air traveller, but have never travelled in the US.

I would normally have picked up the phone and sorted this out one way or another, but are presently on vacation in a Condominium in Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic, so cannot do this until the end of March.

Any advice including web links will be gratefully received.

Thanks.

47 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
1. Re: Flights from London (LHR) to Durango Colorado (DRO)

Shortest flight seems to be via DFW. BA to Dallas then United American Eagle to DRO. You should be able to use Skyscanner or Kayak to check the connections (you can filter for the shortest) and they will redirect you to your agent of choice. I see on Skyscanner Budgetair and Expedia doing this for around £1k

booking.budgetair.co.uk/FlightResults.aspx

Of course you can just book BA to Denver, DFW or wherever and then book a separate flight. That could work out cheaper, just allow more time to do the connection as they will be unprotected.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
reviews: 43
2. Re: Flights from London (LHR) to Durango Colorado (DRO)

If you will be needing a hire car at Durango, you could also consider the BA direct flight to Denver, and pick up the car to drive from there.

Edited: 10:00 am, February 20, 2014
Nashville, TN
reviews: 8
3. Re: Flights from London (LHR) to Durango Colorado (DRO)

You should be able to book those flight,s though it may not be on the BA website. Durango is served by Frontier, United, American and US Air (the latter 2 being One World carriers). You could check the AA site and see if there are flights available to Durango with BA being the operating carrier as far as Denver. Another option would be to call BA and book over the phone instead of online.

Oxfordshire, United...
4. Re: Flights from London (LHR) to Durango Colorado (DRO)

Thanks looks like the phone job is the best way.because I need the protection in case of the problem of a delay from Heathrow.

No I do not a car, because friends are picking us up from Durango.

Limerick, Ireland
5. Re: Flights from London (LHR) to Durango Colorado (DRO)

Your options are as follows

United via EWR and DEN ....or

U S airways via PHL and PHX

You should be able to purchase on the one ticket.

Oxfordshire, United...
6. Re: Flights from London (LHR) to Durango Colorado (DRO)

rick w

Not what I wanted. Two stops! As I said in my original post.

I wish to go non -stop to Denver. The issue I have is not being able to get the last leg from Denver to Durango on the BA booking site. That's the reason I will have to wait until I get back to the UK and phone them.

Thanks anyway.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
7. Re: Flights from London (LHR) to Durango Colorado (DRO)

That's the reason I will have to wait until I get back to the UK and phone them

You've got internet, call them on Skype! What does being in a condo in DR have to do with this?

What's wrong with flying via DFW? Or booking on AA.com, that prices up options including British Airways (with an AA flight number). If you must go via DEN then you'll have to book through an online TA. I don't think BA will book you on a flight that doesn't include a oneworld flight*

*Unless in special circumstances that the OP would be aware of if they were eligible.

8. Re: Flights from London (LHR) to Durango Colorado (DRO)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 4:19 pm, February 20, 2014

Oxfordshire, United...
9. Re: Flights from London (LHR) to Durango Colorado (DRO)

It has a lot to do with it. Very crap internet connection here in the DR.

I had already checked by looking on AA.com and to be honest it is quite a bit dearer than several UK cheap sites.

Why do I need to go to Denver? Because Durango La Plata is the closest airport to Denver where my friends live.

As I said I will wait till I get home.

Thanks. Goodbye

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
10. Re: Flights from London (LHR) to Durango Colorado (DRO)

BA and United are not partners and are actually big competitors. But they do have an interline agreement so you should be able to get LHR-DEN-DRO on one multi-carrier ticket. But they won't advertise them on their website.

You can either book the option via DFW on aa.com, or use a travel agent to book a LHR-DEN-DRO multi-carrier ticket. If you use a travel agent, make it a reputable full service agent (a couple of UK examples are Trailfinders and Dial A Flight), not an online booker.

Edited: 7:37 pm, February 20, 2014
Reply to: Flights from London (LHR) to Durango Colorado (DRO)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted