We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United launches non stop LAX-MEL on 787-900 Dreamliner

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
20,622 posts
5 reviews
United launches non stop LAX-MEL on 787-900 Dreamliner

airchive.com/blog/…

Services starts October 26th and will be 6x weekly.

It's going to be the first United route on the new larger 787-900. No Global First, but 48 lie flat BusinessFirst in 2-2-2, 63 E+ and 141 Y.

As a result, the SYD-MEL connector will end.

Lucky Aussies. United is relieving you of the aging 747s and giving you 777s on the existing routes, and now you get a new non stop to boot.

32 replies to this topic
Gerogery West...
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,119 posts
59 reviews
1. Re: United launches non stop LAX-MEL on 787-900 Dreamliner

My switch to Virgin for SYD-LAX is working. They want me back :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
19,505 posts
58 reviews
2. Re: United launches non stop LAX-MEL on 787-900 Dreamliner

Lol Noel.

Cheers for the update USBT.

I can't see it being a 'game changer' but will certainly influence travel options for those previously city hopping to catch flights ex Sydney. I think it'll influence those who are currently flying QF107 to LAX and beyond.

Edited: 1:41 am, February 20, 2014
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
20,622 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: United launches non stop LAX-MEL on 787-900 Dreamliner

KVE I agree.

I first saw it on FlyerTalk, followed by five pages of whining** (mostly cos it's operated by the ex Continental side of the business). How can you whine at a new route, on a better aircraft? Anyway, someone shared that the current MEL-SYD connector on the 747 is "only half full".

But a half full 747 of loyalists willing to fly via SYD is a two thirds full 789. So they only need to attract around 80 more pax with the non stop, and with the better fuel consumption of the 787 family it could be profitable at less than 90-100% capacity. I see it as being attractive to MEL based Star fliers who fly SQ or TG to Southeast Asia.

Not a game changer, but potentially profitable. Time will tell, but it looks to be a smart move.

(** - the constant whining is why I refuse to post on FT)

Edited: 2:09 am, February 20, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,505 posts
58 reviews
4. Re: United launches non stop LAX-MEL on 787-900 Dreamliner

You're absolutely right about the Star fliers ex Melbourne, I actually didn't think about gateway load factors to SE Asia at all. Shows our views from the opposite sides of the pond, as I only thought about outbound :)

I haven't flown UA across the Pacific, but many years ago used to deal with their flight crew on this side of the 'fence', and they are some of the most relaxed and happy bunch I've ever dealt with, even the tech crew. They're going to enjoy that route to MEL.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
313 posts
63 reviews
5. Re: United launches non stop LAX-MEL on 787-900 Dreamliner

Nice one !

Be interested to see what the new offering can do to stir up some competitive pricing for this sector.

And its a Boeing :)

Gerogery West...
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,119 posts
59 reviews
6. Re: United launches non stop LAX-MEL on 787-900 Dreamliner

Half full 747 SYD-LAX is a very generous estimate in my experience; more like a third. But as noted, that's only the start of the 787 load.

And now I'm torn because I've let my United status drop to silver in favour of keeping platinum on VA, which I use domestically. We'll see how things are going at the end of the year.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,505 posts
58 reviews
7. Re: United launches non stop LAX-MEL on 787-900 Dreamliner

Ooooh, that's a tough one Noel. With the number of flights you've got scheduled for next year, how quickly could you potentially regain your status with United?

Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
97 reviews
8. Re: United launches non stop LAX-MEL on 787-900 Dreamliner

Good idea United - no more crappy SYD airport with that crappy SQ First Lounge and C Lounges with dragons at the door - they don't recognize First travellers so u have to be nasty to me allowed entry - and they are not even SQ staff - Koro Club is passable good showers and good booze selection

For those of us who choose to fly to Eu/Israel via USA all the time rather than via Asia for certain reasons, its a plus - already booked on the 787=900 from LX-MEL in Augsut and again Novemeber - just hope our Global UPGrades come through - buy up was too expensive Always a fan and loyal customer of United and a Premier 1K for quite a few years - nothing comes between me and my United! (Calvins - sic)

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
20,622 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: United launches non stop LAX-MEL on 787-900 Dreamliner

"already booked on the 787=900 from LX-MEL in Augsut and again Novemeber"

Rather strange re August as United's 789 non stop doesn't start until October 26.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
4,261 posts
15 reviews
10. Re: United launches non stop LAX-MEL on 787-900 Dreamliner

There is also Qantas flying the same route with the A380.

26th October could even shift to a bit a later date. First commercial flight for the 787-9 is scheduled for 15th Oct. with Air New Zealand (launch customer). So 11 days later could be a stretch for United.

Reply to: United launches non stop LAX-MEL on 787-900 Dreamliner
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted