We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cathay Pacific carry on limits

Victoria BC
reviews: 3
Cathay Pacific carry on limits

Cathay Pacific now has carry on baggage limit of 7kg, or 15 lbs, plus one small extra item. Despite a check of their website, and a call to their contact line, this "extra item" seemed to be left very vague. This will be important on our upcoming trip to Bali, as I usually avoid checked bags if at all possible. I'm sure you all have your horror story of lost/ delayed bags.

So I am wondering how big an extra item can be, without causing hassle at check-in. Has anyone had experience with this? I'm thinking of small back pack. With those weight limits, it will be hard to get away with less, but I also don't want to be told I am over size/ weight at the last minute.

16 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
1. Re: Cathay Pacific carry on limits

Guess only, but my guess is that it's meant to cover a woman's purse or a briefcase. And it's "plus", after the 7 kg. I'd be willing to go with the equivalent of a bag holding 4-5 1-pound boxes of Rogers chocs, or a 3/4 filled London Drugs bag.

What did their contact line say? I see this on their website:

In addition to the standard cabin baggage allowance, you may carry on board one of the following items free of charge:

a small handbag or

a small backpack or

a briefcase or

a laptop bag.

Wellington, New...
reviews: 1
2. Re: Cathay Pacific carry on limits

I don't know specifically about Cathay- but this is a commnon restriction in this part of the world. I generally carry a rather large over-the-shoulder bag - a large purse affair as my personal item . My male partner sometimes carry on a small foldable day bag in addition to his main carry on pack.

If you are packing right the bag size is not the issue - the problem is the weight. I generally have to rearrange my laptop and charger and camera into the smaller bag - but that's because of the weight. My carry-on sized pack will hold 12kg dead easy!

Worthing, United...
reviews: 27
3. Re: Cathay Pacific carry on limits

Basically, by saying small, they mean don't take the p!ss. A small item is a reasonably small handbag, camera bag, small laptop etc, not really a rucksack (unless really VERY small).

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 35
4. Re: Cathay Pacific carry on limits

A small item is generally classified as something that will fit under the seat infront of you. Your carryon bag goes in the overhead compartment and the small item goes under the seat. So, as described above, a reasonably small handbag, camera bag, small laptop. Millions of checked in items are delivered correctly each day. It is only a very small percentage that goes missing. Don't pack anything valuable in your checkin bag.

Victoria BC
5. Re: Cathay Pacific carry on limits

Thanks for your replies. I will go with a small, textbook style backpack.

I completely understand the airlines concerns about weight, but just find it odd that several are so vague about exactly what they want.

Tauranga, New...
6. Re: Cathay Pacific carry on limits

Hi, I have traveled several times return from Auckland to Cebu via HK with Cathay Pacific. I usually have had the full 23kg Check-in bag, plus a smaller 7kg max 118cm carry on. In addition to this I have always taken a similar sized (118cm) Backpack onboard, plus my camera bag (40cm x 15cm x 22cm). The only problem I ever had was checking out of Cebu, when the lady measured our (wife and I) carry on bags on old mechanical scales and said they both were 8kg. She was then going to charge us 16kg 'over' on both and they had to be 'Checked in' even though both our Check-in suitcases were only 20kg. I negotiated to check-in one of the 8kg bags and took the other onto the plane, along with our TWO backpacks, rather than paying about USD250.00 excess.

Warren

New Zealand

Edited: 3:27 am, March 15, 2014
Tauranga, New...
7. Re: Cathay Pacific carry on limits

Another note, I have flown national and international constantly for business and pleasure since 1970 and NEVER had a bag mislaid, let alone lost. I did have some slight damage to an electronic item once.

Victoria BC
8. Re: Cathay Pacific carry on limits

We have now done the flight, and after winnowing down our bags to the recommended configurations, found that the airline did not weigh, or even glance at our luggage. We could have been a few kgs either way. Oh well.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 80
9. Re: Cathay Pacific carry on limits

The rules are there. You just never know when they are going to enforce it which could cause you some unwanted consternation at the most inconvenient time.

>>>We have now done the flight, and after winnowing down our bags to the recommended configurations, found that the airline did not weigh, or even glance at our luggage. We could have been a few kgs either way. Oh well.

10. Re: Cathay Pacific carry on limits

Does thermoflash is allowed to hand carry in the plane ?

Reply to: Cathay Pacific carry on limits
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted