We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best airline to athens Greece for a quadraplegic young man

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 9
Best airline to athens Greece for a quadraplegic young man

I need to take my son who is a quadraplegic to the island of Cyprus for a medical procedure and want to know the most accessible oriented airline. We live in atlanta

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 15
1. Re: Best airline to athens Greece for a quadraplegic young man

When do you plan to travel, please, and in what cabin / class of service? Is your son on a portable ventilator? What age is he?

Let us know more, please.

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 9
2. Re: Best airline to athens Greece for a quadraplegic young man

He is 34. Not on ventilator but in a regular wheel chair. They have not told us what days to be there yet. Probably need to be frugal. We are really going to Cyprus for the procedure I figured that you would have to fly to athens then another flight to Cyprus

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
reviews: 39
3. Re: Best airline to athens Greece for a quadraplegic young man

Hey Larry L:-) The only direct carrier to date to Athens is out of JFK on Delta as well as USAir out of Philly.. Cyprus Air used to have a direct out the States but believe that has been deep-6d for a while now! You may want to check www.swissair.com/ who accommodate passengers with various disabilities very well.. you don't necessarily have to fly into Athens to get to Larnaca! All the best to you.

Edited: 12:21 am, February 19, 2014
Loughborough...
reviews: 25
4. Re: Best airline to athens Greece for a quadraplegic young man

Litsa's quite right, Athens is by no means the only connecting point in Europe for flights to Cyprus, and has relatively poor service to/from the USA.

London Heathrow, Paris Charles de Gaulle, Amsterdam, and Zurich all have non-stop flights to Larnaca with connecting flights non-stop from Atlanta, London even has several flights a day.

London, United...
reviews: 101
5. Re: Best airline to athens Greece for a quadraplegic young man

British Airways fly from Atlanta to London - then anotherplane on to Cyprus

Salisbury, United...
reviews: 102
6. Re: Best airline to athens Greece for a quadraplegic young man

Hi Larry

I have a certain empathy with your situation as I have a disabled daughter. You will need to research the travel options but here are my suggestions.

1) Book direct with the airline, there can be schedule changes and it is much easier to deal directly with the airline and not go through a 3rd party. Also if there are any problems, dealing with the airline is likely to solve any problems quicker.

2) Make sure you book on one ticket then your baggage will be checked straight through.

3) Choose a straightforward routing with one connection.

4) Make sure you have plenty of time to make connections, even if this means hanging around at the airport. You are most likely going to be last leaving the plane and possibly first to board. Factor this in to your timings. I doubt that one airline will be better than another, it's the connections that are important.

5) Choose a connecting airport that doesn't require long and difficult terminal connections. BA to Heathrow uses terminal 5 for both flights. It's a big modern terminal but there is plenty of room and good facilities for the disabled. IMHO terminals 1 & 3 at LHR are more difficult. Other European hubs may also be easy but I don't know them.

6) It may be a good idea to speak to your chosen airline before you book, if not tell them of your son's disability soon afterwards. I think I am correct in saying an aeroplane can only carry a certain no of disabled passengers. Anyone confirm that?

Good luck with the journey and the treatment.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 378
7. Re: Best airline to athens Greece for a quadraplegic young man

If, like most people, you have budget limitations, you need to look at the various possibilities you can afford. Then maybe come back for more advice and/or look at reviews on airlinequality.com. It appears, from Expedia, you can get from Atlanta (we're assuming you're starting there) to Lanarca with just one change of planes on British Airways or Lufthansa or KLM. You can phone the airlines and ask if they can accommodate his needs. Some airline will, for an extra charge, provide even extra service to get someone between flights, etc.

While lots of people in wheelchairs travel on planes every day, one's exact needs are critical. I'd definitely talk with the airlines. This could even be one case where the use of a travel agent would be warranted.

Edited: 10:05 am, February 19, 2014
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 74
8. Re: Best airline to athens Greece for a quadraplegic young man

Hi,

Re: 6

"I think I am correct in saying an aeroplane can only carry a certain no of disabled passengers. Anyone confirm that?"

==> It depends on the origin country of the carrier or the origin country of departure as these two issue tend to prescribe what laws apply.

Within the US, and speaking for US carriers only, US Federal Law does not permit a carrier to establish a maximum number of passengers with a disability* that they shall be obligated to carry.

That said, there can be cases where a Us carrier can deny boarding or travel to a person with a disability* but the law that allows this is quite explicit about what conditions must exists before a denial is lawful - they tend to be cases where carrying more than X number of disabled* passengers on any one aircraft would violate a federal safety or security law.

(Note: disability here is defined as conditions that are set forth under the Air Carrier Access Act, which is what governs US airlines, and this may vary from any state, local or even foreign definitions of what constitutes a disability)

I know EU law is quite explicit about the carriage of those with disabilities (while I don't personally like the word disabled per se, that is the term that is usually quoted under law, so I use it for that purpose) but I can tell you US carriers are quite good about the carriage of those with disabilities ..

As example, all carriers (foreign and domestic) departing the US must have a specially trained person who is up to date with disability law and can assist if/when things go bad..

They can't override safety or security law, but they are usually a good advocate for those with disabilities in problem cases.

Travel Safe,

UK
reviews: 26
9. Re: Best airline to athens Greece for a quadraplegic young man

"I think I am correct in saying an aeroplane can only carry a certain no of disabled passengers. Anyone confirm that?"

I once shared a KLM flight with about a dozen wheelchair passengers (all returning from a wheelchair rugby tournament) so if KLM have a limit it will be so high as to not normally cause a problem.

AMS is another airport that's easy for wheelchair passenger, so I would into connecting there as well. I know there are direct flights to Cyprus from there (operated by Cyprus Airways, with a KLM codeshare)

NomadicForever
reviews: 16
10. Re: Best airline to athens Greece for a quadraplegic young man

Try to avoid Frankfurt should you come across such a connection.