We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Norwegian Air is a service and customer care disgrace

Astoria, New York
reviews: 5
Norwegian Air is a service and customer care disgrace

I flew New York JFK - Oslo-Gardermoen Flight DY7002 on January 12, 2014 at 21:30 - 10:50. I sat in seat 18J, next to the window.

When I first sat down, I felt a small drip of water hit the top of my head. I looked up and saw that some previous passenger had stuffed a paper napkin in the space between the light and the luggage compartment seam, and it was wet. I asked the stewardess if I could be moved, and she said the flight was full, and "oh yes, that drip always happens but only on take off and landing." I then had to specifically ask her for napkins to plug the hole further as she did not volunteer a solution.

When I pulled the old, wet napkin out in order to plug it with a dry napkin, a piece of the plane fell out on my head, along with plenty of water. It is a small, white, plug shaped silicone or rubber gasket. I then shoved all the napkins I had in the space, which was dripping water on my head like a faucet. It was still dripping through, so I then shoved my wool scarf in the hole as well, and rigged it to the overhead luggage door so as not to fall.

I paid extra for this seat. I had to sit with a faucet running on my head for 7.5 hours, and then a dirty, wet wool scarf. Their flight attendant's cavalier response was ridiculous and inappropriate, especially when I showed her that a piece of your plane was broken and in my hand. I have it if they'd like me to mail it back. We had not disembarked yet, and I could have been offered better customer service, or an alternate flight arrangement to get me to Berlin if the flight was truly full (I don't think it was). I have been a frequent flyer for over 30 years, and NEVER have I had this happen, contrary to the flight attendant's claim that a leaking plane was "normal".

After WEEKS of waiting for a response from Norwegian Air Customer Service and several calls to Oslo to expedite, I received this answer: "We apologise if our staff on board this flight did little to solve the problem you experienced on the way to Oslo. We understand that you should not need to use your own scarf to stop the water dripping and that the staff should have provided you with napkins, since this plane was full and they did not have the opportunity to move you to another seat. This unfortunately do not entitle you to a refund of the ticket or compensation.

We will take your information to the right department so they can rectify their routines and make sure that this will not happen again. We apologise once more for the inconviniency this might have caused, but do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you on board when you next choose to travel."

Recap: Faucet on my head for 7.5 hours, a piece of the plane in my hand, ruined scarf, no response from flight crew, and Too Bad For You message a MONTH later from Norwegian Customer Service. Unbelievable. Avoid this awful airline.

34 replies to this topic
atlanta
reviews: 24
1. Re: Norwegian Air is a service and customer care disgrace

When the plane part fell out did you tell anyone then? That's when I would have just refused to sit there. Not sure if the FA did anything or you went with the "take off and landing only" and didn't complain.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
2. Re: Norwegian Air is a service and customer care disgrace

Hi,

That was most likely condensation which is somewhat common in the interior of aircraft.

The amount of condensation is if course dependent on a number of variaes - so it's hard to say if this was normal or not.

That said, there should not be "pieces" falling off.. That's not good. Now, in all likelihood, that part- whatever it is- is probably not a "MEL" item or Minimum Equipment List item or a part that MUST be in working order for that aircraft to be used for revenue service, but in the parts coming off, MEL item or not, isn't good, and the carrier should know and address it accordingly.

I wasn't there, but I doubt that the cabin crew overtly lied (meaning knew factually it wasn't full but said the contrary) about the full flight aspect- but to know for sure, we'd need to see the manifest to know. It's possible it was, it's also possible it wasn't.

Since you have no real credible evidence to suggest it wasn't, I'll operate under the workings idea that if WAS full. As such, the potential solution "move me" becomes a non-starter.

Hiwevet, I'd expect the crew to do a bit of a better job addressing the condensation issue. It's not your job to use your own garments to address the drippage.. So to that end I agree.

I'd write a short, polite and factaual letter to the carrier asking them for some "help".. In my opinion, letters that are framed as 'can you help me' versus 'I'll never fly you again' tend to get a more favorable reply.

Best of luck,

Travel Safe,

Edited: 11:43 am, February 17, 2014
London, United...
reviews: 22
3. Re: Norwegian Air is a service and customer care disgrace

Ok, I agree this is unacceptable, although little things do go wrong with planes and they could not probably at that point take it out of service for that issue.

I don't like to question your version of events, but was it really running like a faucet and did the scarf really get ruined because of it? Why did you not just ask for more napkins if the scarf could not tolerate water? It sounds like condensation to me also, but that would not run like a faucet.

I think something is due from the airline, I agree, I'm not sure full ticket refund is achievable though. Sometimes when we ask for too much, rightly or wrongly, we end up with nothing....

Astoria, New York
4. Re: Norwegian Air is a service and customer care disgrace

Thank you for your reply. Points:

1. I know about condensation drips. This was enough to soak my scarf, and before that, my head. This was more akin to a tap being left on.

2. I saw empty seats. The crew didn't even offer me the paper towels until I suggested them.

3. I DID pursue it with Norwegian Air for a MONTH, back and forth on their website, customer care calls, and even in Oslo -Gardemoen Airport. NO ONE was helpful, which is why I'm furious at their dismissive answer.

So now I'm letting other travellers know. I don't care is it was a necessary piece of the aircraft or not. Everything they did was poor service and cavalier and offensive.

Astoria, New York
5. Re: Norwegian Air is a service and customer care disgrace

I tried my best to complain to the flight crew, and showed them the piece in my hand. I also showed them the sopping wet scarf when they came around, and asked if there were alternate flight options, but was told that they couldn't change my flight at that point.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
6. Re: Norwegian Air is a service and customer care disgrace

That was most likely condensation which is somewhat common in the interior of aircraft.

The amount of condensation is if course dependent on a number of variaes - so it's hard to say if this was normal or not.

I was going to say the same thing. Or related to the air conditioning system. I've experienced dripping like this, although on a much shorter flight before.

London, United...
reviews: 22
7. Re: Norwegian Air is a service and customer care disgrace

I have to be honest, I don't understand why if it was visibly running like a faucet and there was empty seats visible the crew would not move you. That seems very unusual to me.

Astoria, New York
8. Re: Norwegian Air is a service and customer care disgrace

Your answer is as good as mine.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
9. Re: Norwegian Air is a service and customer care disgrace

Sorry but why did you not move yourself to an empty seat once the flight was in the air ?

Freezing windows and doors, condensation and issues with drips are common especially on landing and takeoff but I have not experienced a drip for 7 hours. Did you videotape it ?

If you spend a few minutes going through a few pages of posts, on the air travel forum , you will find a comment about almost every airline and advice that we should not fly it and it is the worst airline.

Just as I believe you had the incident, trust me most of the airlines are listed. So if we were to take every poster's advice, there would be no mainstream carrier to fly

What do you suggest we do ?

Edited: 12:28 pm, February 17, 2014
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
10. Re: Norwegian Air is a service and customer care disgrace

Also a bit confused if you saw empty seats why you just didn't move there or at least point them out to the FA's and ask to be moved there?

Reply to: Norwegian Air is a service and customer care disgrace
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted