We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air route from Singapore to Texas

Texas
reviews: 15
Air route from Singapore to Texas

We are traveling Texas to Tokyo,doing a cruise, then returning via Singapore to either Houston or Dallas. Because the Singapore route is so long, we were thinking of finding a route that would allow us to stopover (several days) at some intermediate point. For example, last year we flew from St Petersburg to Amsterdam, stayed several days, then on to Dallas. Its a little more money usually but adds another city to our repertoire. Can you suggest an airline from Singapore to some major city (obviously I don't know the hubs for those carriers) that might be of interest? I've googled and looked through Kayak, haven't identified the airlines to use... I couldn't seem to find much using Singapore Air. I know this is a long question...... Thanks for helping with my itinerary.

Bangkok, Thailand
reviews: 90
1. Re: Air route from Singapore to Texas

Singapore is the hub city of Singapore Airlines, so it is not surprising that you cannot find any interesting stopovers.

You could consider flying Turkish Airlines to their hub Istanbul and then onwards to Houston (SIN-IST 11h20m & IST-IAH 13h00m). Turkish is supposed to be quite good even in economy class, and Istanbul is a great city with loads of history.

With a US passport you can apply for an e-visa at www.evisa.gov.tr so getting entry clearance won't be a big hassle.

Edited: 11:06 pm, February 12, 2014
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 80
2. Re: Air route from Singapore to Texas

You can do SQ from Singapore to Tokyo and then to the west coast, or from Tokyo direct to IAH on United. Both would be Star Alliance flights.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
reviews: 1
3. Re: Air route from Singapore to Texas

Most of the major carriers that serve Tokyo, also offer flights to Singapore, so you could book an open jaw, with a stopover in Tokyo on the way back and keep your ticket on one airline.

If you are visiting Tokyo before embarking on your cruise, you could look into an intermediary stop in Hong Kong or Seoul on the way back. You maybe able to do this with wholly on one airline or you might try to keep it within an alliance (ex SkyTeam alliance, Delta to Tokyo, Korean back from Singapore via Seoul).

Madrid
reviews: 7
4. Re: Air route from Singapore to Texas

Singapore also fly IAH-DME-SIN if you fancy a stopover in Moscow.

London, United...
reviews: 508
5. Re: Air route from Singapore to Texas

Why not stopping over in Hawaii?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
reviews: 3
6. Re: Air route from Singapore to Texas

You can also fly in addition to using Singapore Airlines from IAH via Moscow to Singapore.

From Singapore places of interest that are close by with approx flight times: All of these either Singapore Airlines or their wholly owned subsiury Silk Air ( caries SQ as code share )

Kuala Lumpur 50 mins

Bangkok 2 hrs

Ho Chi Minh City 2 hrs

You coul also do Siem reap ( for Angkor Wat ) which is quite amazing, well worth a visit if going to Asia if you are into culture / history

If you wanted perhaps some island time:

Bali 2 hrs 30

Phuket 1 hr 45

Koh Samui 1 hr 50

Also you have Emirates ( and maybe Qatar Airways - not sure ) from IAH non stop to the Gulf and then multiple onward flights to countless destinations in Asia. Dubai if you want an ultra modern places, or you could fly 50 mins to Muscat in Oman, Oman is very interesting if you are into ulture / scenery

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 378
7. Re: Air route from Singapore to Texas

SQ seems to have flights from Singapore to Dallas and Houston via Tokyo, Hong Kong, Incheon/Seoul and even Moscow.. If you decide to bite the bullet and fly straight through, SQ 62 looks to be the option with the fewest stops,. Same flight number all the way through, but an 11-hour stop in Moscow (then non-stop to IAH).

But before deciding whether to stop over and, if so, where: have you called Singapore Airlines to ask if a stopover is even an option in the less expensive fare categories, and, if so, where, and at what additional cost? That should narrow down the options. Total flying time of 24 hours+ without a stopover is a pain, but doable. I've done it. Can you splurge on business class?

Edited: 10:26 am, February 13, 2014
Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 378
8. Re: Air route from Singapore to Texas

p.s. if you're not trying to get a stopover with SQ but just thinking of anyplace to stop, with a separate airline ticket, the world is your oyster. Look at airline routing maps. You could put together any of a number of combinations (e.g., Singapore to Johannesburg to Atlanta to Dallas/Houston), but much depends on cost. It would also help to know where your cruise is going, and what your interests are. But first I'd check prices.

Texas
reviews: 15
9. Re: Air route from Singapore to Texas

Thanks so much for your thoughts. Let me digest your information and be back with more questions!!

10. Re: Air route from Singapore to Texas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 15, 2015