We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight cancellations from Newark Airport to Memphis

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 1
Flight cancellations from Newark Airport to Memphis

Left Glasgow on United Airlines flight to connect with an onward United Airlines flight to Memphis on Sunday 12th Jan14.

Unfortunately the 17.15 flight to Memphis was cancelled and United provided overnight accommodation and re-booked us on the 17.15 flight the following day. Unfortuntely this flight was also cancelled owing to staffing problems and we spent a further night at Newark in an airport hotel.

We eventually travelled on 14.05 to Memphis on Tuesday 14th,.therefore our 3 day visit to Memphis turned out to be 12 hours!

Are we entitled to any compensation?

12 replies to this topic
UK
reviews: 89
1. Re: Flight cancellations from Newark Airport to Memphis

I would say so, as long as you were travelling on one ticket to Memphis, and cancellation was not due to soemthing "exceptional" which generally would be weather-related, should be 600€ each.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 360
2. Re: Flight cancellations from Newark Airport to Memphis

Did you ask UA at the time? Have you asked them since? They didn't even mention vouchers good towards future flights? I guess EU regs would entitle you to some sort of compensation, but the situation sounds bizarre.

UA's schedule shows 3 non-stops per day, and many other options with connections. Can't imagine why they didn't at least put you on the flight for the following morning, after the first cancellation, rather than one 24 hours later. All of the other flights were filled? After 24 hours and another cancellation, they wouldn't put you on another airline if they couldn't put you on a UA flight? Were there weather factors that affected numerous flights? Were you by chance traveling on ff miles?

Edited: 12:16 pm, February 10, 2014
Watford, United...
reviews: 12
3. Re: Flight cancellations from Newark Airport to Memphis

Sorry your trip to the home of Elvis was cut short.

Write to UA. They may offer you a menial voucher or some such but as joe said you may be entitled to more so be prepared to have to take action to get it.

In the words of Elvis himself, a little less compensation and a little more action.

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 1
4. Re: Flight cancellations from Newark Airport to Memphis

We were put on first available flight as others were full.

Staffing problems was the reason for both cancellations.

They offered to re-route us via Chicago on day 2 but they say there were weather concerns there, so we opted

to take the 17.15 on the 13th but once again that was also cancelled.

We currently have registered a complaint with United.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
5. Re: Flight cancellations from Newark Airport to Memphis

Staffing problems may have had to do with weather which causes a ripple effect on flights in the US. Newark is a United Hub so if it did have staffing issues, that may have been due to weather. You can check weather forecasts for mid Jan -- The East Coast has had a miserable Winter this year.

Did you have a good time in Memphis ? Are you going to help other folks in Memphis by writing a trip report or are you just looking for advise on getting money ?

Edited: 12:50 pm, February 10, 2014
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
6. Re: Flight cancellations from Newark Airport to Memphis

As I've posted on a couple other similar inquiries, weather in the Midwest and Northeast in January was an utter disaster. It's snowed almost every other day and we've had much, much colder weather than usual. Thousands of flights have been cancelled. Every major airport has been affected. The sales team at my company flies around the US every week and they've been dealing with cancellation after cancellation whatever airline they were on. I would be very surprised if this was not weather related. It's put crews and airplanes out of position everywhere.

I don't see why you would be legally entitled to compensation. I'm not familiar with how the EU automatic compensation for delays work so maybe it falls under that. Usually if you're delayed overnight here, you have to complain to the airline and try to work out a deal with them.

"UA's schedule shows 3 non-stops per day, and many other options with connections. Can't imagine why they didn't at least put you on the flight for the following morning, after the first cancellation, rather than one 24 hours later. "

Just an educated guess that this was not the only flight cancelled due to weather and probably all those were full as well and that lots of travelers were stuck. And in my experience, you have to push to be put onto another airline.

Romford, United...
reviews: 23
7. Re: Flight cancellations from Newark Airport to Memphis

I am wondering myself if UAL will/can successfully argue Extraordinary Circumstances under EU261/2004 as planes/flights crews/passengers were at sixes and sevens because of bad weather in North America plus there doesn't appear to have been a delay in arriving at EWR on the initial flight from GLA, would've thought it would've made more sense for UAL to warn you of the potential problem when you checked in at GLA at least that way you may have had the option of not being stuck in an airport hotel in NJ for 48hrs (apologies to the Garden State) but either way 12hrs isn't long enough to pay your respects to the King!!!

Edited: 2:39 pm, February 10, 2014
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
8. Re: Flight cancellations from Newark Airport to Memphis

I'm not a lawyer, and there may be a judge over in the UK who may choose to side with you, but my view is no, you're not entitled to compensation under EU261.

The canceled flight was a purely domestic flight within the US. And EU law only applies to flights departing the EU/EEA/EFTA and those on Community carriers flying to the Community. See Article 3 (Scope) eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do…

Had your flight from GLA-EWR been delayed and caused you to miss your connection, then EU261 would have applied as it would have been the flight from the Community that caused your delay. But, as you've said, that flight departed and arrived at EWR on time (actually early).

Under US law, there is no provision for duty of care (hotels, etc) and United's Contract of Carriage also excludes weather related delays and cancellations from their duty of care obligations. So the fact that United provided you will hotel accommodation for the two nights you were stranded means that as a minimum meets their obligations and quite possibly exceeded them. - united.com/web/…Contract_of_Carriage.pdf

By all means write to United, as you have done, and they may provide you with some form of voluntary compensation as a gesture of goodwill (miles or an e-certificate for a future flight).

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
9. Re: Flight cancellations from Newark Airport to Memphis

In the words of Elvis himself, a little less compensation and a little more action.

LOL. You never fail to crack me up, mate...

UK
reviews: 89
10. Re: Flight cancellations from Newark Airport to Memphis

The canceled flight was a purely domestic flight within the US

=====

Neither am i a lawyer but I recall reading very recently there was a court case which decided, as a matter of precedent, that it was the final arrival time, of the final flight, and not any intermediary stops.

However, if weather was the root issue of the staffing problems, then I believe compensation would not be due

Reply to: Flight cancellations from Newark Airport to Memphis
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted