We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Canada Vacations-Pre-Travel help non-existent

xxxx
reviews: 5
Air Canada Vacations-Pre-Travel help non-existent

We have now returned from our trip and are very glad that the resort was nice. Our pre-travel experience was less than satisfactory. The travel agent and the booking agent were both negligent in dealing with details of our trip and left me feeling very anxious upon arriving at the airport. I wasn't sure if this trip was going to happen or not. The faults were as follows: (1) travel agent did not book when requested-this resulted in extra charges to our whole group, (2) Air Canada vacations changed the flight time which resulted in our group losing a half day of our vacation-Air Canada did not inform us or travel agent, it was discovered by one of the people travelling with us, (3) we were over-charged by a $1,024 and not re-imbursed in a timely fashion-resulted in myself having to incurr interest charges for two months.

Travel agent blamed Air Canada and Air Canada blamed travel agent. Very unprofessional on both sides. (4) Our credit card was debited without approval from us on a second charge. Travel agent seemed unable to help or unwilling and when I contacted Air Canada Vacations on my own was only sent standard form letters.

The client is left with no way to express their concerns or get their money back. I will not be using Air Canada Vacations or the travel agent again and will be letting as many people know as possible about my bad experience.

I could have booked this whole trip myself and not had any of the problems that I encountered. Very displeased customer. Both the travel agent and Air Canada Vacations need to look at their procedures. Air Canada needs to stop doing bait and switch on times and dates of travel. People work hard to go on vacations and don't need the added stress of dealing with a company that has no customer service.

I know there will be no satisfaction on my end because of this ordeal but wanted someone to not the problems we faced and hopefully improve your procedures so that other travellers don't have to deal with the total lack of customer service.

Bracebridge, Canada
reviews: 20
1. Re: Air Canada Vacations-Pre-Travel help non-existent

Did you contact ACV Customer Service afterwards and express your displeasure? I would write them an official complaint and follow up with a telephone call. Speak to someone with authority, such as a supervisor, or higher.

I generally do well with them, but I do not hesitate to express my displeasure either, and you're right: We work hard for our holidays. Either book yourself or get a new travel agent for next time. I've had great success with Travel Counsellors.

Edmonton
reviews: 14
2. Re: Air Canada Vacations-Pre-Travel help non-existent

Didn't you already write this whole thing once before? I thought I read it yesterday?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 181
3. Re: Air Canada Vacations-Pre-Travel help non-existent

< I could have booked this whole trip myself and not had any of the problems that I encountered. >

Good lesson learned for next time.

Edmonton
reviews: 14
4. Re: Air Canada Vacations-Pre-Travel help non-existent

Booking a group on your own is tough and you don't know what you are entitled to (11th adult free promo, etc.). I wouldn't recommend booking a group on your own.

Also, you say the TA didn't book when they were supposed to, but did you give them the required info (names, bdays, payment, etc.). If not, they cant book until they have it.

Travel agent cannot refund the money since it was charged by ACV, they have to be the ones to refund and refunds often take a long time to go through. Not great, but not the TA's fault.

Flight schedules change on all airlines, so that's not unusual. I believe their T & C's say they have a right to change them up to 24 hours without compensation, so 12 hours is within their right and other airlines do this as well. If ACV didn't contact your TA, then it's also not their fault they didn't know, that's on ACV.

Just things to think about when you are complaining.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel
reviews: 246
5. Re: Air Canada Vacations-Pre-Travel help non-existent

Yes, maried, it looks as though this was posted yesterday in another thread:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…55980599

It sounds like things were less than perfect on the OP's holiday, but without knowing exactly what happened it's difficult to comment. That said, I think that the advice of writing a formal letter of complaint setting out every point of dissatisfaction, would be a good start if the OP hasn't already done this.

xxxx
reviews: 5
6. Re: Air Canada Vacations-Pre-Travel help non-existent

Yes I did the official complaint in a letter format and was only sent back a form letter where they basically fill in the blanks. I made a couple of calls but no one would put me through to a supervisor or manager as I was not the booking agent. I was able to come up with a name at Air Canada Vacations and sent an email and left a voice mail. This person in turn called my travel agent and was very unpleasant to her for the travel agent providing me information on her name. No one at Air Canada would talk to me directly. After a second month of my credit card not having the money put back on it, I called the finance division. There were a little more helpful.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel
reviews: 246
7. Re: Air Canada Vacations-Pre-Travel help non-existent

Have you made an official complaint to the travel agent as well? I'm not clear as to what actualy happened, or how the additional charge arose, but it could be that the agent is more at fault.

Berkeley, CA
reviews: 11
8. Re: Air Canada Vacations-Pre-Travel help non-existent

"I believe their T & C's say they have a right to change them up to 24 hours without compensation, so 12 hours is within their right and other airlines do this as well."

There's the bait and switch. Most consumer companies cannot charge an amount based on one level of service and product and then provide an inferior product without recourse. For example, if you pay more for a more convenient flight and then are bumped to the less convenient cheaper flight, you are cheated, regardless of whether the carrier has reserved the right to do so in the t's and a's they imposed on you. That, at least in the US, you can't sue doesn't make it any less of a cheat, only one that can be gotten away with.

9. Re: Air Canada Vacations-Pre-Travel help non-existent

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:29 am, February 14, 2015