We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport expiry in lessthan 6 months when enter into US

Bengaluru...
1 post
Passport expiry in lessthan 6 months when enter into US

I am an Indian citizen having an Indian passport which expires in 30 JUNE 2014. I have US visa (B1/B2) valid up to 13 JAN 2018. I want to travel to US on 20 March-14 and return back on 30 March-14.

I want to know whether I can travel to USA without any problem or Do I need to apply for renewal of passport?.

13 replies to this topic
Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Passport expiry in lessthan 6 months when enter into US

No, you need 6 months on your passport, although this isn't an air travel situation. Chuck.

UK
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: Passport expiry in lessthan 6 months when enter into US

Some nationals need six months validity to travel to the USA, some don't. I don't know what category Indian citizens fall into, and I don't know if the previous poster knows or is just guessing. You should check with the US embassy or with an authoritative source like Timatic.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
20,754 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Passport expiry in lessthan 6 months when enter into US

Agree with Aviatrix, including in respect of #1. And #1 it is air travel related as if you don't have entry clearance the airline will deny you boarding.

Ganiger,

Here's a link to a Timatic search which will give you guidance. It doesn't matter that it's the Star Alliance site, Timatic is managed by IATA and the information is used by all airlines. I would check it myself but I'm on mobile and the page doesn't work on an iPhone 5.

staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/

UK
Level Contributor
47,730 posts
91 reviews
4. Re: Passport expiry in lessthan 6 months when enter into US

Of course it's an "air travel situation" chuck, as the OP won't be travelling unless his passport is correct. Look at all the passport / visa related questions in here.

That website says "- Passports issued to nationals of India must be valid for the period of intended stay"

A lot of people think 6 months is some sort of blanket rule that applies everywhere but it doesn't.

5. Re: Passport expiry in lessthan 6 months when enter into US

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:35 am, April 11, 2014

6. Re: Passport expiry in lessthan 6 months when enter into US

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

7. Re: Passport expiry in lessthan 6 months when enter into US

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
10,549 posts
8. Re: Passport expiry in lessthan 6 months when enter into US

Travel agents everywhere are very keen on the 6 months rule. It means they never err on the wrong side and (being slightly cynical) means they can skimp on training their staff

Alexandria, Virginia
1 post
9. Re: Passport expiry in lessthan 6 months when enter into US

This response is perhaps too late to help the OP, but I wanted to provide information here for people like me who end up here. From the US CBP website it is quite clear that people who hold Indian passports do not have the 6 month validity requirement. Here is my reasoning. This link - https:/…0

It says "Visitors traveling to the U.S. are required to be in possession of passports that are valid for six months beyond the period of their intended stay in the U.S. See list of countries exempt from the six month requirement.". The hyperlinked list of countries that are EXEMPT (state.gov/documents/organization/104770.pdf) includes india. Ergo Indian nationals do not need a passport that is valid 6 months beyond their period of stay.

Bengaluru...
1 post
10. Re: Passport expiry in lessthan 6 months when enter into US

But what about the issue at port of exit. I hear that indian authorities might create a problem, and won't let you travel with passport expiring in less than six months

Reply to: Passport expiry in lessthan 6 months when enter into US
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted