We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair / Budget Airline Luggage Questions

reviews: 1
Ryanair / Budget Airline Luggage Questions

Hi everyone, I have a couple questions about flying with Ryanair.

This will be my first time with the airline, and my first time flying into a low-budget airport.

First, did Ryanair change their baggage allowance to allow two bags? Their website says they allow "One cabin bag per passenger* weighing up to 10kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm, plus 1 small bag up to 35 x 20 x 20 cms." So does that mean two bags? One cabin bag and a purse or small camera bag?

I'm trying to decide what to do baggage wise. I'm thinking of just brining a backpack on this two week trip to Europe (Spain and Italy) but also want to bring a purse or camera bag with me to store my DSLR. So I'm wondering if I should just check the backpack and carry on the purse if two bags are not allowed? I don't really want to risk stuffing my DSLR into my backpack.

Second, if I did check the bag, how does baggage claim work? Is it just a normal luggage carousel? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I just want to be sure.

I'm flying into Pisa (PSA) from Madrid if this helps any.

Finally, is 2hr30min early enough to show up for the flight? I've heard some horror stories about Ryanair check in. Should we print boarding passes off before we leave the states (won't have a printer available in Europe, but I'm not sure if we can even check in that early?) or find our way to the Ryanair desk at the airport?

(Do the same general rules apply for easyjet?)

Thanks so much, I appreciate it!

6 replies to this topic
UK
reviews: 81
1. Re: Ryanair / Budget Airline Luggage Questions

First, did Ryanair change their baggage allowance to allow two bags?

=====Yes, very recently

Their website says they allow "One cabin bag per passenger* weighing up to 10kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm, plus 1 small bag up to 35 x 20 x 20 cms." So does that mean two bags?

======Yes

One cabin bag and a purse or small camera bag?

===== It means two bags of the dimensions above or smaller

Cala d'Or, Spain
reviews: 88
2. Re: Ryanair / Budget Airline Luggage Questions

Stick to the rules and you will be fine.

Break the rules at your peril.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
reviews: 210
3. Re: Ryanair / Budget Airline Luggage Questions

Two hours is the check in time. At some airports the check in in does not open until 2 hours before the flight,with others, with many Ryanair destinations, the check in desks are for ALL Ryanair flights,not destination specific, and you can check in earlier. If you have no hold luggage to hand in and if you have checked in on line and have a printed boarding pass you can by-pass luggage check in and go straight to departures. Personally,before doing that,I would check with them that there is no anticipated delay on your flight (ie is the incoming on time?)

SS

Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
4. Re: Ryanair / Budget Airline Luggage Questions

Hi

In Europe we have Internet cafés, hostels, hotels and libraries all with computers and printers which can be used for a small charge. PRINT YOUR BOARDING PASS before going to the airport, you will not be able to when you get there. I think you have until four hours before the flight, but it would be foolish to leave it that late.

Measure your bags exactly, don't be oversized by a centimeter nor overweight by a pound. You will be charged if you are.

Jackie

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 34
5. Re: Ryanair / Budget Airline Luggage Questions

For flights from 2nd March, unless you pay to prebook seats, online check in will only be available 7 days prior to departure. If you prebook seats it will be available from 30 days prior. Up till then it's still 15 days prior.

reviews: 1
6. Re: Ryanair / Budget Airline Luggage Questions

Thank you so much everyone for letting me know about the new baggage and check in rules!

I have heard they are very strict with everything and just wanted to make sure I had all my information right.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

Reply to: Ryanair / Budget Airline Luggage Questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted