We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancover-Heathrow-Lisbon, do I need to pickup my baggage?

Vancouver, Canada
Vancover-Heathrow-Lisbon, do I need to pickup my baggage?

I bought YVR-LHR-LIS ticket from expedia.ca. The layover in LHR is 1 hr 40 m. My question is do I need to pick up my baggage in LHR? My ticket is from AirCanada, all have AC code, but from LHR-LIS is operated by TAP Portugal.

Same question for my return flight, BCN-MUZ-YYZ-YVR. All flights have AC code, but from BCN to MUZ is operated by LUFTHANSA. Do I need to pickup my baggages in Munich?

5 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
1. Re: Vancover-Heathrow-Lisbon, do I need to pickup my baggage?

No. You'll clear nothing but security at LHR.

On the return at MUC you'll clear outbound immigration (as you're leaving the Schengen zone) and security.

UK
reviews: 26
2. Re: Vancover-Heathrow-Lisbon, do I need to pickup my baggage?

I don't believe the OP will need to re-clear security at MUC.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
3. Re: Vancover-Heathrow-Lisbon, do I need to pickup my baggage?

"I don't believe the OP will need to re-clear security at MUC."

That will be airport dependent based on which gate you arrive. There's no requirement to reclear security as long as the transit route from the arriving aircraft to the departure concourse can keep you "sterile", that is separate from passengers arriving from non Schengen/EU airports (who will need a security check).

Munich is pretty good for that for Star Alliance pax as they share the same terminal. Last time I transited at MUC from Budapest to London I didn't need to reclear security.

uk
reviews: 74
4. Re: Vancover-Heathrow-Lisbon, do I need to pickup my baggage?

My experience at MUC is generally that if you are going Schengen to Schengen or Non-Schengen to Non-Schengen then you don't have security, however if you are doing Schengen to non-schengen or visa versa then you have security.

MUC is probably my favourite airport to connect through - very easy :)

UK
reviews: 26
5. Re: Vancover-Heathrow-Lisbon, do I need to pickup my baggage?

"My experience at MUC is generally that if you are going Schengen to Schengen or Non-Schengen to Non-Schengen then you don't have security, however if you are doing Schengen to non-schengen or visa versa then you have security."

This can't be right. There are now some exceptions, but the general rule is that if you are transiting from somewhere that is outside the combined Schengen/EU area then you HAVE TO re-clear security. If you are arriving from within the combined Schengen/EU area, or from one of the countries whose security procedures have been recognised as conforming to EU standards then there is no requirement to re-clear security, but you may have to anyway if your route from arrival to departure gate takes you outside the sterile area.

So - what you are saying about not having to re-clear security on a non-Schengen to non-Schengen transit is wrong.

Reply to: Vancover-Heathrow-Lisbon, do I need to pickup my baggage?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted