We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AA Broke our Stroller, stole Xmas presents and screwed us

Denver, Colorado
AA Broke our Stroller, stole Xmas presents and screwed us

We traveled in December for Xmas. We gate checked our stroller, and when we arrived in DFW for our connection it was broken. The gate agent apologized, acknowledged that the baggage handlers had broken it, and told me that AA would take care of it. When I landed in Denver I tried to file a claim in the baggage office. The AA employee refused to take my claim or help me. He just said "call AA." Then we realized that $200 worth of Xmas gifts had been stolen out of our suitcase as well. When I called AA they said they wouldn't help me because I didn't file a claim right away, even though I tried to and they wouldn't take my claim at the airport. In the six weeks since this happened I have spent countless hours on hold with virtually every department of AA and still have not spoken with a live human being who has apologized for all of their mistakes or been able to help. They sent me a check for $40 when our total loss was $500. Any suggestions for who else I could contact? I refuse to give up this battle. Their system is obviously set up to wear people down so they just give up as it takes hours and hours on hold to even get someone in consumer affairs to answer the phone. This is so frustrating and wrong.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 34
1. Re: AA Broke our Stroller, stole Xmas presents and screwed us

AA didn't steal or break anything. As you have already said, the baggage handlers broke your stroller. Your Xmas presents could have disappeared anywhere along the line, but it won't have been by AA employees.

Didn't you contact your travel insurers?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
2. Re: AA Broke our Stroller, stole Xmas presents and screwed us

You had insurance, right???

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 13
3. Re: AA Broke our Stroller, stole Xmas presents and screwed us

Along with the thread about items missing from baggage with Delta Airlines I wonder when will people take notice of the instruction from airlines not to put items of value in checked baggage.

4. Re: AA Broke our Stroller, stole Xmas presents and screwed us

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 pm, February 03, 2014
Milford, Ohio
reviews: 84
5. Re: AA Broke our Stroller, stole Xmas presents and screwed us

"The gate agent apologized, acknowledged that the baggage handlers had broken it, and told me that AA would take care of it." Were you unable to file a claim at the time of acknowledgement?

Never pack valuables - enough said!

File a claim with your travel insurance. Good Luck - I hope everything works out for you.

London, United...
reviews: 22
6. Re: AA Broke our Stroller, stole Xmas presents and screwed us

I have some sympathy, that's a horrible situation to be in. However you should not put valuables in the hold, it's specifically stated by nearly every airline and they accept no liability if you chose to do so and they get nicked. You can understand their position, you could say you had anything in there and it was nicked and the airlines don't control the baggage, they just have responsibility. Payment is for lost or damaged luggage in line with the relevant convention and this is in the terms and conditions you ticked and accepted at time of purchase.

The fact you either did not read this information, or did and chose to ignore it, is not the fault of the airline. It was your call. You can try your insurance, however I am unsure if even that would cover this scenario.

In terms of the stroller, I'm not really sure of the answer to that one ie do they state you put it in the hold at your own risk and this is why they refused to file a claim? Why did the employee refuse to file it? How broken was broken?

Palmetto, Florida
reviews: 10
7. Re: AA Broke our Stroller, stole Xmas presents and screwed us

>>Along with the thread about items missing from baggage with Delta Airlines I wonder when will people take notice of the instruction from airlines not to put items of value in checked baggage.<<

But Tom, sometimes you just can't carry on everything, could have been a cashmere sweater for niece or a few nintendo games for nephew.

People are coming here to rant and vent I guess and unfortunately get emotional. It's a hard problem to fix. But I think feedback is important; esp if there is high incidence of theft at particular locations, someone hopefully will investigate. If it is not the airline involved who should we call? Airports' baggage service? Is FAA involved at all? Are those numbers readily found on web?

Doesn't seem right to just say claim with your insurance. My insurance rate will go up.

About the stroller, AA should replace the stroller or have it fixed. They have done that with broken suitcases. I don't know if they can do anything about stolen goods. Next time, if you have an issue with your luggage you really need to get a claim or case number set up before you leave the airport, otherwise it's very hard for someone else to follow up or help you. Maybe you should have seeked out another employee/supervisor. Very sorry about your trouble.

Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
8. Re: AA Broke our Stroller, stole Xmas presents and screwed us

Hi

I really sympathise about your pushchair, AA should replace it or pay you it's value in cash. What are you supposed to do at an airport with large bags, hand luggage and a baby. This is something which should absolutely none negotiable on AA's part, let them claim on their insurance.

But sadly your gifts are a different matter, I had to place some toys in my hold luggage earlier this year in the full knowledge they might go missing. I purposely didn't wrap them so that any handler would see the main box was just a toy worth about £40 and not some expensive games machine. They didn't go missing but it was a calculated risk. You struck unlucky and your stuff went walkabout. So that lot would come out of your pocket or insurance.

If you can't afford to lose an item then don't pack it in your hold luggage. It's a sad fact of today's world and I've even heard that our two main airports in London are nicknamed 'Theifrow' and 'Gatnick'

Jackie

Houston, Texas
reviews: 171
9. Re: AA Broke our Stroller, stole Xmas presents and screwed us

It's sad to hear these stories but it's part of Air Travel. We travel IAH to AVP every year during the Holidays to see the grand kids. All gifts are sent UPS a week before. Never a problem.

Coffs Harbour...
reviews: 136
10. Re: AA Broke our Stroller, stole Xmas presents and screwed us

$40 for your stroller is in line with worldwide practice - so that issue is now resolved and no further chasing up is required from you.

In relation to the xmas gifts, you will never be able to prove this so again, case closed there aswell.

Luckyily enough, you may be able to claim on your travel insurance - but I am assuming you did not have any - maybe blame AA for that too