We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

duty free......................

england
reviews: 8
duty free......................

don't know if anyone can help, i am visiting a friend in 3 weeks time, she has asked me to bring some cigarettes, would it be best to get them at Manchester airport in the duty free or on the delta flight, she thinks delta flight, as i don't smoke its not something i would usually be thinking about

9 replies to this topic
UK
reviews: 88
1. Re: duty free......................

Ask her where exactly she wants you to buy them, what brand, what price, what to do in case of substitute brands, eg she wants "Gives you cancer in 30 days" but only the 60 day variant is available.

The onus should be on her to do the research not you, otherwise you may end up with a big box of cancer sticks she says "oh I didn't want those I'm not paying" or "why on earth did you buy at xxx when it's cheaper at yyy"

Berkshire, England
reviews: 61
2. Re: duty free......................

They may not have the brand she wants on the plane as they can only carry a limited selection.

London, United...
reviews: 23
3. Re: duty free......................

I think it's probably cheaper on the flight. Where is it you are flying to that cigarettes in the uk or on board is actually cheaper than her buying them herself where she lives?

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 32
4. Re: duty free......................

If you are flying to Australia you will have to pay duty on >50 cigs.

england
reviews: 8
5. Re: duty free......................

flying to new york, and i have no idea what faggs she smokes, i dont smoke so wouldnt have a clue where is cheapest to buy

London, United...
reviews: 23
6. Re: duty free......................

To be fair they are expensive in New York, about 12 bucks a pack last I recall, so yes, cheaper on the plane. You need to ask her what type though,..:-))

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds
reviews: 130
7. Re: duty free......................

Just a heads up, don't refer to them as 'fags' in America. It has a different meaning! ;-)

Exeter, United...
reviews: 36
8. Re: duty free......................

As does 'fag butts'! Got caught out on that when I first went to NY.

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 100
9. Re: duty free......................

you probably need to ask her which brand she smokes but be aware not all brands are available in duty free and you can only bring 200 into the US.

Reply to: duty free......................
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted