We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Qantas downgrades

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
101 reviews
Qantas downgrades

I recently booked and purchased a premium economy ticket on Qantas. I booked PE because of a previous Qantas PE flight which was excellent. The ticket was purchased and paid for well in advance and now Qantas have downgraded my seat and ticket to economy due to a change of plane. I have no issue with the change of plane but I do have an issue with the fact that I booked PE not economy. Now that the flight date is closer there are no other comparable flight deals with other airlines ( as I would happily take a refund and go else where) and to add insult to injury Qantas has not offered to refund the cost difference between PE and economy or offered any other sweetener to take the bad taste away from being duped into paying for a PE seat and then being given economy. Does this happen often and what, if any, recourse an you get?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
33,899 posts
143 reviews
1. Re: Qantas downgrades

Duped ? Did you file a claim with Quantas to get the PE charges back ? What is the status of that claim.

Sweetner ? So this is one more complaint about compensation ?

Do you really thing they changed the aircraft to dupe people ?

Edited: 3:46 am, January 30, 2014
Shoalhaven...
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
163 reviews
2. Re: Qantas downgrades

Regardless of what you may have misheard or misread, you are entitled to $$$ difference between the fare paid.

Aside from that, equipment changes happen often and there is not much else to do about it. I would be surprised if the refund of the PE on Qantas was not significantly more than the cost of PE (or sometime business) on another carrier - unless, of course, you bought during the sale.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
22,587 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Qantas downgrades

On which flights are you booked (date, routes and flights numbers)?

"Does this happen often and what, if any, recourse an you get?"

Unfortunately it does happen, and with some airlines they do gouge you with a lack of, or tiny refund. What they should refund you is the difference between the PE fare you paid when you booked and the (cheap) Y fare that you would have paid at the same time. What some airlines offer is the difference between what you paid for PE and the currently available Y fare which can be much more expensive than what you would have paid, and in some cases the same price or more then a discount PE fare.

That practice is outlawed in the European Union (EU261) where by law the airline has to refund you a fixed percentage of the premium fare you paid if you are involuntarily downgraded (IDG'd). It applies to all flights from the EU/EEA/EFTA countries and on EU/EEA/EFTA airlines on flights to the region.

Edited: 3:53 am, January 30, 2014
4. Re: Qantas downgrades

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, February 01, 2015