We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaysia Airlines upgrade at airport

Australia
reviews: 16
Malaysia Airlines upgrade at airport

Does anyone know whether Malaysia Airlines offers paid upgrades at airports, and what the usual cost is. Have business class booked so looking for paid upgrade to first ( am OW Emerald too if that makes a difference. ) Thanks

12 replies to this topic
London, United...
reviews: 22
1. Re: Malaysia Airlines upgrade at airport

Ehrm, is that a serious question? I have no clue about Malaysian, but do know ticket costs depend on where you are flying from and too. It's not just one price any where...

Cala d'Or, Spain
reviews: 88
2. Re: Malaysia Airlines upgrade at airport

Why don't you just cal the Airline. I am sure they will answer your question.

Australia
reviews: 42
3. Re: Malaysia Airlines upgrade at airport

It prob wont happen unless ur at the top level of the enrich programme even then unlikely. We travelled in business recently from adl on our way to Paris - we had 7 people in business out of 33 they didn't upgrade anyone. Which to be fair if you want it you need to pay for it beforehand :)

Edited: 2:52 am, January 26, 2014
Madrid
reviews: 7
4. Re: Malaysia Airlines upgrade at airport

I asked about an airport upgrade KUL-LHR from J to F.1 way it priced out at 13000 ringit.I dont think MH do cheap airport upgrades.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 107
5. Re: Malaysia Airlines upgrade at airport

In all my flights with MAS I have never been offered a paid upgrade or anything mentioned, never mind a complimentary one. Neither has any one I know who also flew with them regularly.

reviews: 1
6. Re: Malaysia Airlines upgrade at airport

My partner and I just disembarked from an MH KUL-MEL flight for which we paid for an upgrade from discount economy to business at the airport. Price was MYR 1300 each. Large posters in the economy check in area were advertising the service.

Paris, France
7. Re: Malaysia Airlines upgrade at airport

Thank you for the info Simon. Has anyone paid for an upgrade from economy to business before travel (online, telephone or airport) on LHR-KUL? In 'manage my booking', there is no option for either choosing seats or upgrading. Seems to me like a lost opportunity to make some extra money! People are much more likely to pay for an upgrade if it's easy to do in just a few clicks...

Edinburgh, United...
8. Re: Malaysia Airlines upgrade at airport

<< Seems to me like a lost opportunity to make some extra money! People are much more likely to pay for an upgrade if it's easy to do in just a few clicks...>>

Many airlines opt to not offer cheap upgrades, and the upgrade they will offer will be the difference in the fare, so not cheap

If cheap upgrades became the norm, the concern would be that nobody would pay for a business/first ticket to begin with so they make sure that the only way to guarantee a seat in a premium class would be the pay the price for it

If you contact whoever you bought your ticket through, they should be able to give you a price for upgrading the ticket to business but looking at random dates the delta is often £2,000+

Melbourne VIC
reviews: 23
9. Re: Malaysia Airlines upgrade at airport

Have done this out of Melbourne to KUL - upgrades can be purchased at MEL Airport one way at around USD$400 from Economy to Business. However out of KUL - it is not cheaper - you can do it but they (MH) will re-assess the fare.....not cheap.

Paris, France
10. Re: Malaysia Airlines upgrade at airport

Thank you for the info Jetsetter. It looks as if they're doing this on MEL-KUL. Maybe they'll extend the scheme to other routes if it's successful!

Reply to: Malaysia Airlines upgrade at airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted