We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Salvador airport-safe?

Washington DC...
San Salvador airport-safe?

I am traveling from DC to Belize. The best option in time and dollars is on Taca but there is a short stop and plane change in San Salvador airport, El Salvador. It will be me and my daughter...both women. Any advise relative to safety would be appreciated. I am hesitant to book this flight for this one concern. thank you so much!

8 replies to this topic
Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 32
1. Re: San Salvador airport-safe?

Sorry - but that is ridiculous. It is an airport. Why wouldn't you be safe.??

We have flown the other way from Panamá to Costa Rica via San Salvador staying over night in a hotel in the city. Never gave safety a thought. My only regret was that we didn't have time to see more of that beautiful country El Salvador which was the original home to several of my Spanish speaking friends who now live in Australia.

They tell me their greatest fear when going home to El Salvador is having to transit through the US!!!!

Washington DC...
2. Re: San Salvador airport-safe?

lol, fair enough! Thank you so much for your response!

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 56
3. Re: San Salvador airport-safe?

I saw a cockroach in the airport there!!!!!

Bakersfield...
reviews: 7
4. Re: San Salvador airport-safe?

I too had the same question yet figured the same thing. How "unsafe" could it be? But I've recently stumbled upon a similar situation where I could save quite a bit of money by flying Taca with a stop in San Salvador......I questioned the same myself re: Safety.....Only because of the unknown.....this is why we seek feedback from others....Thank you.

Edited: 5:28 pm, June 17, 2014
Bakersfield...
5. Re: San Salvador airport-safe?

…state.gov/content/passports/english/alertsw…

Well....Since my last post I discovered this recent travel alert for El Salvador... Maybe not so safe.

Madrid
6. Re: San Salvador airport-safe?

Well....Since my last post I discovered this recent travel alert for El Salvador... Maybe not so safe.

Just like Washington, New York,LA,Miami and the rest.I forgot Brixton.

When travelling you would be well advised to be cautious about which parts of a country you visit,and remain alert at all times.The lowest crime area of any country is inside the security area of an airport.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 32
7. Re: San Salvador airport-safe?

If you really want to scare yourself just look at the travel warnings issued by the Australian Govt. According to them nowhere is safe including USA, Canada and even at times New Zealand.

We've been mugged in both South America and Europe and pickpocketed in France. And our day of closest physical danger was probably when we were in Potomac right near where the Washington Sniper was doing his ghastly work. Just take care wherever you are.

New York City, New...
reviews: 77
8. Re: San Salvador airport-safe?

Nozzie's right. I register with the Department of State's embassy list (SMART Traveler Program) every time I travel, and if you read the travel advisories they send you, you'd think the world's coming to an end!

I'm not saying there's no point in reading them. The idea is to keep informed and take the appropriate precautions if necessary, but not unduly alarmed.

I've never been to San Salvador, but unless there's something like a full scale civil war/revolution going on... I think you'd be perfectly safe transiting at an airport.

Edited: 3:24 am, June 18, 2014
Reply to: San Salvador airport-safe?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted