We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delta App - checking in

Sevenoaks, England...
Delta App - checking in

Hi again,

Travelling as part of a family of 5 in the Summer, bit confused about the Delta app however.

As I am part of a group, will we all have to check in together normally or can one passenger (me) use the app instead separately from everyone else? I'm interested to see what using a mobile boarding pass and everything is like :P

Thanks!

Jon

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
1. Re: Delta App - checking in

One person can check everyone in. This is most easily done if you have an app like Passbook (iPhone) that holds all the boarding passes together without needing the connection to be "live."

Sevenoaks, England...
2. Re: Delta App - checking in

So just to clarify I can do it all off my phone for all five of us on passbook then for the entire process through customs, checkin etc? Better make sure the phone has enough charge otherwise wouldn't be in a good situation! ;)

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
3. Re: Delta App - checking in

As long as your airport(s) allow you to use an electronic boarding pass, it will work. You check all of you in through the Delta app, and save the boarding passes one by one to Passbook. Then you can pull them up from passbook anytime you need to show your boarding pass.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 61
4. Re: Delta App - checking in

@BrooklynBridge, How would that work through security where each person is supposed to show their own boarding pass? The person with the phone would have to stand by each person as they go through and then go himself? Is it really an efficient method to use with 5 people??

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
5. Re: Delta App - checking in

I do it all the time for my family of three. I present the passport and boarding pass for each person as they step up. Not an issue.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
reviews: 1
6. Re: Delta App - checking in

The Delta apps mobile boarding pass works fine at airports where Delta has their own gates and scanners. It does not work well at many international airports where gates and scanners are all shared. You might check with Delta in your country to see if the mobile boarding pass works at your gateway airport.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 77
7. Re: Delta App - checking in

I would check in on the app then print off paper boarding passes from the kiosk when you arrive at the airport. Seems too cumbersome to pull up 5 separate electronic boarding passes at the gate and security. If that's not an option definitely use passbook bc if for some reason you don't have phone reception you'd be in a bind.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 132
8. Re: Delta App - checking in

I agree with Riff M. before our kids had their phones I would just check in the DW and I using our mobiles and print boarding passes for the kids. Just easier to do that than stand there swiping at the TSA desk and at the gate 5 times. gives kids some responsibility to manage their own boarding pass.

Also with TSA-Pre only family members under 13 are allowed to go with the adult who has TSA pre for that flight. so even if both adults had TSA-pre -- one of us went with the kids

Now we all have mobile passes on our individual phones and it is just easier that way.

Sevenoaks, England...
9. Re: Delta App - checking in

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Belomiser, you mentioned you all having them on individual phones - were they all iPhones with Passbook or did you use something else on different phones? (Both my parents have WP7 devices and my sister has an android phone - youngest sister doesn't and won't have one for the holiday as she's only 9!)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 132
10. Re: Delta App - checking in

we live in apple town (not the big apple) well what i mean is we in San Francisco surrounded by friends people who work at and have helped design the iphone -- so yes we are a iphone family.

We as a family do fly Delta (they flew Delta over Christmas) but not as often as we fly United and its star alliance members. We have the united app on our phones and get the domestic boarding pass there -- have not felt the need to move it to passbook. We have not seen international boarding passes there as those are normally issued at the airport on paper

so if you are getting your boarding pass on your phone go ahead and use that just print out the ones for those who do not have a phone.

the phone is a convenience not a necessity.

Edited: 6:37 am, January 26, 2014