We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cathay pacific - trying to buy extra baggage ?

australia
reviews: 56
cathay pacific - trying to buy extra baggage ?

Hello fellow TA Members,

Booked family of 5 to Europe from Australia on Cathay Pacific. Made a mistake and just found out that cathay is 20Kgs checked in Bag. I thought it was 23kgs like Qantas etc. Now I have to try and squeeze the family into 5 bags with 15kgs less than I thought I had. Issue is that we are travelling for 8 weeks and travelling through various climates so need warm/cool clothing.

My question is Can I PRE purchase extra baggage or buy unaccompanied bags for the following day ? I have looked and it only indicates penalties for each KG over.

I am SILVER frequent Flyer with qantas ( one world ) and Silver with Star Alliance.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

13 replies to this topic
Melbourne Australia
reviews: 110
1. Re: cathay pacific - trying to buy extra baggage ?

I'm watching this topic as 20kg really isn't much is it. Maybe it's their way of getting people to upgrade? Or some extra revenue raising via extra costs for luggage. I know Premium Economy are allowed 25kg. The only way I could do this (I am travelling in three weeks to cold Europe) is to take "disposable" clothes. Op shop stuff to dispose of as we go, old or cheap undies, same.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 52
2. Re: cathay pacific - trying to buy extra baggage ?

Well, you have your carry on allowance as well. DH and I spent six weeks in Europe going from May (cold) to July (hot) with two carry on bags and a 22kg bag between us. It's possible. Bring layers, clothes that coordinate with each other and use washing machines, they have them in Europe.

Less stuff to cart around is a blessing really.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
3. Re: cathay pacific - trying to buy extra baggage ?

"The only way I could do this (I am travelling in three weeks to cold Europe) is to take "disposable" clothes"

Or take fewer clothes and do laundry while you're traveling? They have laundrettes in foreign countries, and some hotels have in room washing machines. When I visit Thailand I specifically choose a hotel with in room washer dryers, take 4 days' worth of clothes and launder them myself. They even have something called "supermarkets" where you can buy the detergent and conditioner.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
4. Re: cathay pacific - trying to buy extra baggage ?

To the OP,

I don't think that CX allow a pre paid excess. So I think you're stuck with 20kg. You could make use of your carry on allowance to take more clothes, and anyway it's recommended that you pack (at least) one change of clothes in your carry on in case your checked bags get "delayed".

Otherwise, you have the option of using laundry on your travels, as mentioned above. I'd also add that even when I have overpacked and taken 7-10 days' worth of clothes my checked bag has never hit 20kg on the scales, so you may be over worrying here.

Safe travels.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 79
5. Re: cathay pacific - trying to buy extra baggage ?

For an 8 week trip, you won't be able to not do washing anyway so there is no need to pack any more than 4-7 days of clothes max. I usually go on a week-long trip to the States in the winter. Packing an extra pair of shoes, a week's worth of clothes and maybe one heavier jacket, I average somewhere between 12-15 kgs normally. I suspect a female traveler might need an extra few kg for a little more clothes and other stuff.

If you have larger bottles of stuff to bring, either buy sample sizes or put them into small plastic bottles. That will save you a bit of weight and allow you the option of putting them into a carry-on. As mentioned, most of everything you will ever need can be purchased while you are abroad.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 23
6. Re: cathay pacific - trying to buy extra baggage ?

Cathay don't allow prepaid excess. Found that out over Xmas when trying to move my stuff from nz to Hong Kong. You can also take 10kg hand luggage so 30kg all up. Surely that's enough for a holiday?

australia
reviews: 56
7. Re: cathay pacific - trying to buy extra baggage ?

Guys

Thanks for the replies. Wife takes everything but the Kitchen sink. We have booked most places with washing machines so may just suck it up and run with it. On our last big trip to USA we came home with 9 large suitcases and 4 backpacks. Bought half of America.

Crazy that Cathay wont allow you to incrementally purchase say up to 25 kgs total though.

Cheers

Brussels, Belgium
reviews: 44
8. Re: cathay pacific - trying to buy extra baggage ?

Just flew Hong Kong to Brisbane with Cathay with husband and 2 kids economy. They didn't give anything extra for my husband's One World silver card despite Cathay being part of that, apparently they only give extra for Cathay Pacific silver card holders. However at check in they did allow 23 kg each before asking us to give ourselves hand luggage to keep the weight to that (crazy?!). Now about to fly back and bought more stuff so will do a Ryan Air trick of wearing coats, the heavier shoes etc and if needed, pack heavy things into the coat pockets! Will not choose Cathay again because this limit is not generous and would have been cheaper to fly Europe to Australia with Emirates and got a better flight, service etc. We travel a lot with family spread across the world and so we know.

Phoenix, AZ
reviews: 187
9. Re: cathay pacific - trying to buy extra baggage ?

<<Bought half of America.>>

And the folk in America appreciated your financial support too!

Travel safely,

Hunt

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 51
10. Re: cathay pacific - trying to buy extra baggage ?

They didn't give anything extra for my husband's One World silver card

----------

There's no such thing as "oneworld Silver", each elite status tier within an airline corresponds to oneworld Ruby (lowest), Sapphire (mid), Emerald (top tier) and there will typically be the oneworld logo in the bottom right hand corner of your card with an ellipse to match the colour of the oneworld status level (I.e. Emerald is green)

I know BA, a oneworld airline, will allow up to 32kgs per bag (over their usual 23) if you are oneworld Sapphire or Emerald or flying in business/first class. I don't think this applies to oneworld Rubies.

Reply to: cathay pacific - trying to buy extra baggage ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted