We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wet wipes in liquid allowance?

australia
reviews: 47
wet wipes in liquid allowance?

Travelling Sydney to London via Hong Kong…can anyone tell me if it's ok to take a pack of 25 wet wipes in hand luggage? Nowhere can I find out if this exceeds the 100ml liquid restrictions or indeed whether it needs to go in the liquids snap lock bag? There is no weight on the pack to guide me. I have been searching for an answer to this for a while now. Can anybody help please?

48 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
1. Re: wet wipes in liquid allowance?

Wet wipes is not liquid . We have taken wet wipes both domestically and internationally including from Sydney and have just carried them as part of our carry on and not with our toiletries in the separate plastic bag

heathrowairport.com/heathrow-airport-guide/h…

Edited: 11:33 pm, January 22, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
reviews: 32
2. Re: wet wipes in liquid allowance?

i always carry wet-wipes and have never even thought of the liquid content and have never been asked by security about them.

New York City, New...
reviews: 77
3. Re: wet wipes in liquid allowance?

Wet wipes are solids (although damp ones at that) so they don't fall under the restrictions on gels, liquids and aerosols.

I've always carried a pack of the antibacterial ones in my carry on. I don't put them in my ziplock bag (as they need to be readily accessible) and never had any problems. The ones I had contained 10 towelettes each. A pack of 25, which you plan to bring, shouldn't be that much bigger either.

Then again, if the security screeners turn out to be having a bad day, the worst thing they could do is confiscate the pack. I've never heard of anyone being slapped with a fine for being hygienic!

Edited: 11:39 pm, January 22, 2014
australia
reviews: 47
4. Re: wet wipes in liquid allowance?

Thanks everyone. They are so picky and you never can be sure, eh. I guess someone could squeeze the moisture out of them and…do something with it? Thinking about it sensibly…there wouldn't be much liquid in them, would there!

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 115
5. Re: wet wipes in liquid allowance?

Never had any problem carrying wet wipe/anti-bac wipes and usually more than one packet.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
6. Re: wet wipes in liquid allowance?

Here's an option: www.towtabs.com Biodegradeable, dry, easy to store, pack, carry on board and needing very little water to be made ready for use. I bought some at a shop in Ontario, but have seen them (and similar products) at dollar stores and elsewhere.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 23
7. Re: wet wipes in liquid allowance?

I carry mosquito repellent wipes, sun lotion wipes and face cleanser wipes in hand luggage separate from my liquids bag and have never had it questioned in any airport, in the UK or any other airport in the world I have been through in Europe, the US, Africa or Japan. The foil packets and/or plastic jar would have been obvious on x-ray but I haven't been questioned.

It is one of the ways I can travel for more than 6 weeks with carry on only.

Edited: 1:54 am, January 23, 2014
8. Re: wet wipes in liquid allowance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:06 am, February 04, 2014

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
9. Re: wet wipes in liquid allowance?

The airline has nothing to do with security.

Wet Wipes are not a liquid.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 115
10. Re: wet wipes in liquid allowance?

If you Google the question you can find quite a few answers (inc from TSA), all the same yes you can take them.

In all the airports I have been in and indeed airlines own rules I have never once seen anything with regard to any form of wet wipes. Think of all the baby wipes that travel all over the world each day with no problem.

Reply to: wet wipes in liquid allowance?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted