We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing planes at Chicago O'Hare

Iowa
reviews: 24
Changing planes at Chicago O'Hare

Getting from one terminal to another -- one concourse to another -- we don't ever go outside the secure area, do we? Hoping we won't have to go through security again at ORD as we sometimes have to do at LAX. Not at all familiar with ORD.

Thanks in advance.

25 replies to this topic
1. Re: Changing planes at Chicago O'Hare

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:43 am, January 20, 2014

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 78
2. Re: Changing planes at Chicago O'Hare

Terminals 1, 2, and 3 are connected airside as well so you won't have to re-clear security if your flights use just those terminals.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 222
3. Re: Changing planes at Chicago O'Hare

As noted, it does depend on your terminal. Many of them are connected. Definitely far, far easier than LAX if you're changing carriers. What are your arrival and departure carriers?

Chicago
reviews: 1
4. Re: Changing planes at Chicago O'Hare

The only terminal not connected airside is Terminal 5, the international terminal. If you are arriving on an international flight and connecting to a domestic you will have to take the airport tram and reclear security, unless flying from an airport with pre-clearance. Some international flights leave from Terminal 5 as well. Domestic to domestic you can stay airside. If you give us the flights abd airlines we can give you specific info.

Iowa
reviews: 24
5. Re: Changing planes at Chicago O'Hare

It's domestic -- can't remember if it's Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 or vice versa -- so it appears we'll miss the fun of clearing security twice. Thanks everyone!

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 74
6. Re: Changing planes at Chicago O'Hare

You can easily walk airside between T1 and T2. There's also a shuttle bus between T2 and c concourse in T1 but even walking it's only 20 minutes or so.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 181
7. Re: Changing planes at Chicago O'Hare

I like the map at the UA website (also found on the app, too)

https:/…ord.aspx

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 74
8. Re: Changing planes at Chicago O'Hare

Only problem with that map is it does not show where the security check points are so you cannot tell what is air side and what is land side.

Here's the interactive O'Hare airport map from the airport's website. It's better but now that I look, it's got the pre and post security zones marked wrong, too. You can walk from T1 to T2 to T3 all air side.

flychicago.com/ohare/…

Houston, Texas
9. Re: Changing planes at Chicago O'Hare

I have a 50 minute gap between domestic (United) flight landing and international (United) flight take off. Is this sufficient time for plane change? I am travelling in Summer, so hopefully weather should not cause delays. Thanks

Houston, Texas
10. Re: Changing planes at Chicago O'Hare

I have a 50 minute gap between domestic (United) flight landing and international (United) flight take off. Is this sufficient time for plane change? I am travelling in Summer, so hopefully weather should not cause delays. Thanks

Reply to: Changing planes at Chicago O'Hare
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted