We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to China Multi-City trip

London
London to China Multi-City trip

I'm planning a trip to China this summer. The route I was thinking of is London-Beijing-Shanghai-Hong Kong-London

I've used Cathay Pacific's multi-city booking to find that they do London to Beijing or London to Shanghai via Hong Kong but not Beijing to Shanghai which means I would have to book a domestic round trip with another company to Shanghai, then return to Beijing before flying to Hong Kong.

Also Cathay Pacific only allows 55m to one hour layover in Hong Kong before taking a connecting flight to Beijing which isn't great. I'm familiar with the HK airport but I still wouldn't want to get there in the nick of time before my connecting flight but I suppose if they thought a 55 min layover is not enough the website wouldn't have let you book it (it was displayed as parts of one ticket). The airline is responsible for rebooking you if e.g. there was a delay and you miss your flight but I'd rather not start my holiday with missing a flight if I can avoid it.

Can I avoid returning to Beijing before flying to HK?

Also I like Cathay Pacific and have flown with them before but I may have to choose another airline due to their short layover. China Airlines are good but they don't come to the UK. I don't know any other airlines that fly to China without long diversions.

5 replies to this topic
Motherwell, United...
reviews: 6
1. Re: London to China Multi-City trip

Try Expedia Brad.

They have a multi-city option for booking airline tickets although it might not be with the same airline throughout.

Jim

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 76
2. Re: London to China Multi-City trip

On the CX website, you should be able to input multi-city flights like these:

LHR to PEK

PVG to HKG

HKG to LHR

Flight 1's destination does not have to be the same as the starting point of flight 2. See if that helps.

Between Beijing and Shanghai, you might want to take the high speed train instead. The ride takes about 5 hours but when you factor in additional time to/from airport, check-in, and the frequent delays at PEK and PVG, the train could be the better choice.

leeds yorkshire
reviews: 1
3. Re: London to China Multi-City trip

Brad why not use a train in China see man in seat 61.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 130
4. Re: London to China Multi-City trip

Sammyfloyd is correct. If it's too expensive, perhaps book LHR-PEK and HKG-LHR in the multi-city search.

You can use a site like ctrip.com to book the other flights if it's cheaper to do so.

If you have time, it may also be cheaper to fly to Shenzhen or Guangzhou and head over the border to HK from there (I stress this is if you have the time and patience and if it's significantly cheaper).

London
5. Re: London to China Multi-City trip

I'm going for a week and a half so I'm trying to minimize the travel time and spend more time in said cities.

Reply to: London to China Multi-City trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted