We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insect repellants that work?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
10 reviews
Insect repellants that work?

Hi,

I am taking my 3 children aged 4 years to 9 years to Bali. I got the bushmans brand of insect repellant in a spray because it has deet and my children seem to attract the mozzies and react badly to bites. It seems that i cant take the aerosol in my checked luggage as it has the flammable sign on it. However the gel form has 80% deet and I am not sure if this is safe to use for kids. Can anyone suggest another gel insect repellant that has a lower concentration of Deet and works?? Thanks

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
6,887 posts
57 reviews
1. Re: Insect repellants that work?

Just buy some there ...

Madrid
Level Contributor
2,887 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Insect repellants that work?

Buy it on arrival at Bali.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,616 posts
128 reviews
3. Re: Insect repellants that work?

Can you buy Jungle formula in liquid form in Australia? They have also brought out a children's gel (in the UK but the sensitive one is for children as well) Its the only thing that worked for us (but still got bitten) when I lived in the tropics. Belive me we went through everything to try and stop getting bitten.

South San...
3 posts
4. Re: Insect repellants that work?

I travel to Manila often and I always use OFF with Deet. I just spray on my shoes and lower part of my pants and it keeps mosquitoes at bay.

Shoalhaven...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
159 reviews
5. Re: Insect repellants that work?

I did not know about that rule? I always take deodorant spray etc (and these also have the flammable sign).

You may not be able to take it onboard, but I would be extremely surprised if you cannot put it in checked luggage.

Arcadia, California
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
24 reviews
6. Re: Insect repellants that work?

Never had a problem with hairspray in checked luggage.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,616 posts
128 reviews
7. Re: Insect repellants that work?

You can take pressurized cans in checked in luggage for personal use (see airlines rules regarding this, size etc) and I have done so myself for other items. But prefer liquid/gel mossie sprays. Off did not work for me either.

But if you do take spray or liquid put them in a zip lock bag to prevent leaks.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
16,920 posts
61 reviews
8. Re: Insect repellants that work?

As I said on your other thread, IATA regulations permit aerosols for home and sporting use in checked luggage.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
315 posts
89 reviews
9. Re: Insect repellants that work?

I try to steer clear of the DEET if possible. There's a safer alternative which contains Icaridin as the active ingredient, and it's US CDC recommended.

I've read of some folks in Darwin, NT swearing on bizarre concoctions with baby oil & vegemite... but I doubt they'd work. It'll probably just make you "tastier" for the bugs. :p

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
16,920 posts
61 reviews
10. Re: Insect repellants that work?

Also have a look at your chosen airline's checked luggage rules; Qantas and Jetstar both go by the IATA ruling.