We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking 2 separate tickets

Berkshire, UK
reviews: 5
Booking 2 separate tickets

Hi, I'm looking to book LHR to MQP through Jo'berg with BA WT+. The JNB/MQP leg is with SA Airlink, it works out about £1000 cheaper (3 of us) if I book LHR/JNB with BA direct and JNB/MQP with SA Airways direct. If I book separate tickets will I need to pick up my luggage both ways at JNB and recheck in at the desk or can I check it straight through? ( I know I will pick it up at JNB and walk it though customs). We only have 90mins layover at JNB both ways and so want to understand exactly what we need to do!

13 replies to this topic
London, United...
reviews: 23
1. Re: Booking 2 separate tickets

I'm not sure about this specific airport, but normally you have to collect luggage and clear immigration,

However the bigger issue is the ninety minutes. Considering you are on your own with seperate tickets if you miss your flight,,,ie your inbound is delayed or you encounter queues, and miss your connection, you will have to buy a walk up fare, if you can get a seat.

I would think very long and hard about that. With one ticket the airline pays for you to go on another flight if you miss and duty of care ie accommodation etc if it's required because you can't get a seat on a plane for an extended period. Two tickets and you are all on your oneo,

It's a gamble to take, and one that could be very very costly if you lose.

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
2. Re: Booking 2 separate tickets

We only have 90mins layover at JNB both ways and so want to understand exactly what we need to do!

-------------------------

You need to leave more than 90 minutes for a connection on two separate tickets. Unless of course you are comfortable with paying the walk up fare for your second leg.

UK
reviews: 88
3. Re: Booking 2 separate tickets

We only have 90mins layover at JNB both ways and so want to understand exactly what we need to do!

======

Book one ticket and pay the extra. You dont only have to factor in delays from all causes, if this trip is some way off, timetable changes between now and then might make a connection impossible even in theory, people have reported such things happen (usually with anguish as to how unfair it is) .

If I was still tempted by the £1,000 I'd book a CONSIDERABLY longer gap than 90 minutes between flights.

Salisbury, United...
reviews: 69
4. Re: Booking 2 separate tickets

I would be worried about the return trip. If you miss your return flight to london you would need to buy a new ticket at the walk up price. Very expensive. I would want an overnight to make sure I don't miss this flight.

On the way over 90 mins is tight. If you were to miss this flight you would need to buy a new return ticket, expensive but no where as expensive as the new ticket back to LHR.

It all seems very risky and only know you know what your attitude is to risk.

London
reviews: 73
5. Re: Booking 2 separate tickets

Looking at the prices for JNB-MQP for flights tomorrow, price looks to be around £55-£85, a conservative estimate of the walk up fare could be £150 ish (one way), so it wouldn't be that bad, assuming prices are similar when you travel.

However, there are 4-5 flights JNB-MQP every day, the last being at 1730.

Assuming LHR-JNB is overnight, why not just book the latest possible connection. There's no need to squeeze it in to 90 mins.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
6. Re: Booking 2 separate tickets

Whether you know exactly what to do or not, leaving only 90 minutes is crazy. Just a short delay on the incoming flight and you're up a you-know-what creek without a paddle.

Berkshire, UK
reviews: 5
7. Re: Booking 2 separate tickets

,Thanks, what speedy responses! All I was doing was taking the flights offered on the BA website and just costed them out as separate flights. As BA offered this combination I'd assumed it was feasible, but do understand the concerns you have all raised.

So, my next question if I book both flights on the BA website I'd still only have the 90min stopover, surely they shouldn't offer it if it's not realistic?

London, United...
8. Re: Booking 2 separate tickets

I'd also check any visa requirements, as if you miss the connection and can't get a seat on a flight for a couple of days ( ie lights are full) you will want to leave the airport at jnb and stay at a hotel.

As smudge says, if you miss the connection they will cancel all remaining legs, so you won't be buying just a one way, you will be buying a new return ticket.

London
reviews: 73
9. Re: Booking 2 separate tickets

So, my next question if I book both flights on the BA website I'd still only have the 90min stopover, surely they shouldn't offer it if it's not realistic?

If it's all booked with BA, you won't have to pick up the bags

London, United...
10. Re: Booking 2 separate tickets

Not only will you not have to collect bags and do immigration, you are also protected and the airline pays for you to go on another flight if you miss.you are financially covered.

Reply to: Booking 2 separate tickets
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted