We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 different airlines... For a return flight booking

wiltshire
2 different airlines... For a return flight booking

Hi. I'm looking at booking internal usa flights. Been watching the prices for a while and they aren't quite what I would like to pay.

I decided to look up one way fares and come up with two different airlines.. One for the outbound leg and another for the inbound leg and i have found that it is considerably cheaper to book 2 airlines for a return journey, so technically it makes the trip a 2x one way booking.. If that makes sense!

Has anyone done this? Is there anything I should worry about if I was to do this?

Thanks in advance

Nicola

20 replies to this topic
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 86
1. Re: 2 different airlines... For a return flight booking

Lots of people do this. I don't know why you'd have a problem. The only disadvantage is if you need to make changes to each leg, you'll pay two change fees, instead of the one you'd pay with a round-trip booking.

wiltshire
2. Re: 2 different airlines... For a return flight booking

Thanks. The difference in price is $116 each which is quite a lot, just wasn't sure if there was any reasons not to choose this option

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
3. Re: 2 different airlines... For a return flight booking

Make sure you check the baggage costs / restrictions for both airlines. Just so there are no nasty surprises.

Edited: 2:21 pm, January 15, 2014
wiltshire
4. Re: 2 different airlines... For a return flight booking

Thanks, they are virtually the same

Price for checked bags, $25.. Each way I'm presuming.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
5. Re: 2 different airlines... For a return flight booking

I do it all the time. As one poster said, if you need to make a change, you have to pay two change fees. Otherwise, no real issue.

Northborough...
6. Re: 2 different airlines... For a return flight booking

THere are some combinations which simply will not be available as far as I can tell...I have been trying to book an Alitalia/KLM/Delta code share flight from boston to fco rome and an Aer Lingus return flight from Venice to Boston and it's not doable...You must fly Aer Lingus both ways...

wiltshire
7. Re: 2 different airlines... For a return flight booking

How about connection times? These inbound and outbound flights are both indirect and have an hour connection time.. Is that enough time? The connection is the same airline it's just the inbound/outbound with different airlines

australia
reviews: 17
8. Re: 2 different airlines... For a return flight booking

Most airlines state the MINIMUM connection time one should allow is 3 hours between flights unless you are booked on a thru ticket then they will allocate the shortest time possible because they will cover you if one leg is late (they will put you on the next available flight out).

If you do decide to book two individual legs for the one journey instead of a thru ticket you will not be covered if one flight is delayed, you more than likely will be on your own....but this is airline dependent ...some will charge you a change fee to get moved...some will make you forfeit the entire fare.

wiltshire
9. Re: 2 different airlines... For a return flight booking

No sorry th

wiltshire
10. Re: 2 different airlines... For a return flight booking

No sorry each leg is the same airline. It's the inbound/outbound flights with a different airline

Reply to: 2 different airlines... For a return flight booking
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted