We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air France Premium Voyageur seats: changing in 2014?

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
reviews: 32
Air France Premium Voyageur seats: changing in 2014?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

We are flying on Air France A380 in September from LAX to CDG. I have only flown AF once before, in 2012 in "Affaires" class, but that was a big splurge, and will be doing Premium Voyageur this trip.

I have been reading on other forums and websites about Air France changing their fixed shell seats in this category to the more traditional style that actually reclines (as opposed to the "sliding down" inside the fixed shell they have had)......does anyone know if this is happening this year, and if so, on the A380''s for the long haul flights such as this one?

I obviously don't know which would be better, not having flown this class of service before, but because it is 10/11 hours of flight time (and we will need to sleep for at least part of it)...I was wondering what we are likely to find.

I appreciate any information you might have, what I've been able to dig up has been very confusing and contradictory (to me at least!) thus far!

Malama Pono, (take care)

Janet

P.S. - we have to fly 5 hours just to get to LAX, so very important that we be as comfortable as possible on that looong flight to Paris.

9 replies to this topic
Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
1. Re: Air France Premium Voyageur seats: changing in 2014?

Bump

Boston...
reviews: 12
2. Re: Air France Premium Voyageur seats: changing in 2014?

They probably read all the posts here on TA about how hard the seats in PE are:)

(Bump)

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
3. Re: Air France Premium Voyageur seats: changing in 2014?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I know! LOL

Regardless of the seats in PE - that is what we are flying but just curious about this information saying the seats are changing this year - don't know if that would be on the A380 we are flying or not and if so - when.

I guess it is an unknown quantity at this point! Will keep fingers crossed they will be comfortable on a 10+ hour flight (more since we have to fly from Hawai'i on Delta to LAX).

Maybe an extra blanket to keep my okole (bottom) comfy? LOL

Malama Pono(take care)

Janet

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 75
4. Re: Air France Premium Voyageur seats: changing in 2014?

Janet, I doubt that they will rush into changing the seats ,it will probably be done as and when the aircraft have major servicing.

Try taking a pillow or cushion to sit on

Malmo, Sweden
reviews: 2
5. Re: Air France Premium Voyageur seats: changing in 2014?

Reading here

businesstraveller.com/asia-pacific/news/air-…

It is stated that "For premium economy, the airline is going to retain the same seat design that was introduced in 2009. However, it will enhance this cabin with more comfortable seat cushions and a multi-position footrest.".

I am flying CDG -> MRU return with my wife and 2 year old daugther in their PE class this spring - by looking at the seat configuration for the Caribbean 777's they fly on that route it does look very nice I think. Only 4 rows and well separated from normal economy class and just 2 rows of business class in front of there.

Edited: 10:31 am, January 25, 2014
Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
6. Re: Air France Premium Voyageur seats: changing in 2014?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Interesting information on the new seat cushions - I might not have to bring my own then.

However we are flying the A380 from LAX to CDG - not the 777, so don't know if the same would apply - I know the PE is "upstairs" behind the Business class on that plane and it is quiet up there - that is the good news.

Malama Pono (take care)

Janet

Malmo, Sweden
7. Re: Air France Premium Voyageur seats: changing in 2014?

Hejsan from Sweden :)

We are going to bring pillows anyway - it would be annoying to miss it... The flight to Mauritius is also quite long, 11-11,5 hours night flight so we are counting on a least some sleep.

Hope that you'll enjoy your visit to France!

Lars

Malmo, Sweden
8. Re: Air France Premium Voyageur seats: changing in 2014?

We have just returned from a fantastic 2,5 weeks in Mauritius.

Outbound was on Premium Economy and the flight from CDG to MRU was okay. But not more than that! The premium economy cabin was completely full. The service was very slow, we were travelling 3 persons (my daugther, wife and myself) so we were seated in the middel section. I got dinner served 20-25 minutes after the rest of my family! When it was my turn to get served they were out of champagne too. Food is served in economy class fashion with one tray loaded with everything. The food itself was boring - however it did not taste bad in any way.

All in all the in-flight experience was mostly like economy class with no extras really. The Sky Priority is nice - fast lanes whereever possible in the airport and the luggage is tagged for priority and delivered first. Also we were allowed up 6 suitcases for check-in as well as two pieces of cabin luggage each. That is definatly generous.

The seats are okay, I had no problems with hard cushions etc. However you SIT in them so sleeping comfort is so-so. Recline is as other mentions somewhat limited.

For the extra price paid (around USD 1500 extra for 3 persons) it was okay, however that was a discounted fare due to some campaign AIr France had.

All in all... Okay - but indeed not more than just that.

On the homebound trip I asked at the ticketing counter in Mauritius Airport for the possibility to upgrade to regular business class. We were in luck and was offered that last 3 seats in the business class section on the airplane to Paris (there are 14 seats only) for USD 2500. That is in my opinion a rather good price for business class and the service delived on the homebound flight was miles from the one in premium economy. They had two flight attendats serving 14 passengers compared to one serving 32 in premium economy. It had all the nice extra features that we like - a properly served meal, drinks pre-flight, much better service, and much better seats. They do not recline fully in the 777-300ER caribbean configuration - (angle flat seats). However we do sleep with no problems in them and my 2,5 year old daugther definatly felt at home in the seats too.

The food serverd was quite good with 3 main courses to choose from. Very good wine also.

All in all I would go for the business class option another time if possible. It does cost a lot more, but it is also a lot better in-flight. For the ground services the economy premium option does it - it is only lounge access that is not included in the fare.

Edited: 9:09 am, May 24, 2014
Malmo, Sweden
9. Re: Air France Premium Voyageur seats: changing in 2014?

By the way - we were seated 2E+2F+2G. On 5A+5B (in the premium economy cabin) a couple travelling with a crying infant was seated. If you are sensitive to that sound in would be worth considering trying to get seated on row 1.

Reply to: Air France Premium Voyageur seats: changing in 2014?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted