We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Multiple USA city flights

London
reviews: 5
Multiple USA city flights

Anyone got any good suggestions for companies to use for below flight itinerary 2014

1st Aug London to Boston

4th Aug Boston to Washington DC

7th Aug Washington DC to Chicago

9th Aug Chicago to Fort Myers

15th Aug Fort Myers to Seattle

17th Aug Seattle to San Francisco

20th Aug San Francisco to LAs Vegas

23rd Aug Las Vegas to Los Angeles

28th Aug Los Angeles to London

Thanks

22 replies to this topic
Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
1. Re: Multiple USA city flights

That's a lot of flights and you could book a multi city trip with one of the major carriers such as AA, US Airways, United or Delta but this might not give you the best results in terms of schedule and/or price.

The other option is to book an open jaw flight (London - Boston, LA - London) for the transatlantic legs with a series of stand alone domestic flights which would work as none of your flights are connecting flights - this could be better in terms of schedule, routes and/or cost.

Use a search engine such as matrix to identify your options but Southwest, a major US low cost carrier, will not appear on matrix so you'll need to search them separately.

Note that you'll incur checked baggage fees on most US domestic flights of around $25 per bag per flight which will soon mount up with the number of flights you are planning - one of the exceptions is Southwest where you get 2 free bags.

You might also want to consider the option of train travel between Boston and Washington and I assume thee is a reason why you are flying rather than a rental car between the likes of Las Vegas and LA.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

http://www.southwest.com/

Norfolk England
reviews: 75
2. Re: Multiple USA city flights

Hi

I would also buy my transatlantic as open jaw and use domestic.

Im with Tom on using southwest where possible. Great no frill's airline, knock's UK LCC into the dirt. Buy the earlybird and you don't even have to check in, just print boading passes, drop bags and go.

Clive

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
3. Re: Multiple USA city flights

I should have added to my previous reply that you might find fares from Spirit but I personally would not use them as they have no agreements with any other airline so in the event of any problems you are stuck with them to fix it which could take hours if not days- they might be cheap but any major delays to any of your flights could have a significant impact on your later travel plans.

NH
reviews: 6
4. Re: Multiple USA city flights

The first of your trip is serviced by Southwest. Boston, Washington DC, Chicago and Ft. Myers. Having said that the airports in Washington and Chicago are on the outskirts of those cities. I believe SW also flies into Los Angeles but again I think they fly into John Wayne airstrip rather than LAX. Shuttles, taxies and buses transport into the city. They also fly into Las Vegas. I don't think that they serve Seattle or San Francisco.

As stated, Southwest does not charge extra for the first two checked bags and that will save some money! One downside to booking with Southwest is that they do not post their flight schedules out too far into the future. Some routes are only posted 90 days out! ..But if you can use them, it will save quite a lot on fees for checked bags.

You might have a look at JetBlue, also. I believe they serve some of the cities you are visiting and also do not add a baggage fee. You will need to go to their webpage. They are not in the joint search engines such at Orbits or Expedia. ..Don't know if they are on Matrix.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 40
5. Re: Multiple USA city flights

I'd do as suggested above as no flights are linked on the same day. However, that a heck of a lot of flights over a month, so tons of wasted holiday time sat round in airports waiting for planes or luggage to emerge. Not my area of expertise as we always drive around the USA but you might check whether any routes are served by AMTRACK as no hanging around that way and you might be able to enjoy some scenic train rides. Boston to DC might be possible, but it goes via NYC I expect.

SWT

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 38
6. Re: Multiple USA city flights

I totally avoid the nasty legacy carriers (AA, DL, US, UA) in favor of Southwest, Alaska, Jetblue, Frontier and Virgin America

Southwest is really nice (not terribly comfy) but nice because of their no change fee and no baggage fee policies - also a very good website

Beware of the regionals slowly overtaking many routes disguised as one of the legacies!!!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
reviews: 12
7. Re: Multiple USA city flights

I have to agree with another poster that your flight dates are way too close together and you will have little time to actually be in each city, mostly spending it in airports or getting into the cities from them. - and if one flight Is delayed you will be in a mess that will likely affect the rest of your trip.

Is the purpose of this to see each of these places as a tourist or must you be in each for some reason? I'd cut the cities down to about half ( I'd do Vegas and San Francisco perhaps but leave LA for another time- it's very hard to get around in LA. for a short visit) .and I wouldn't bother with Ft. Myers - a small airport too hard to get to from Chicago and Seattle and taking you way out of your way.

I don't see the wisdom in this routing. A month may seem a long time, but not for 10 cities- the US is much more spread out and hard to get around in than Europe,

Norfolk England
8. Re: Multiple USA city flights

Hi

I have flown with southwest Las Vegas to San Francisco, so they do fly there. In fact you can choose Oakland also. It can be as cheap as $59 as long as you dont try to fly out of LV on a Sunday, very busy day to fly from there.

Clive

Chicago, Illinois
9. Re: Multiple USA city flights

"I totally avoid the nasty legacy carriers (AA, DL, US, UA) in favor of Southwest, Alaska, Jetblue, Frontier and Virgin America"

If you do that, you're limiting your options tremendously. Southwest is large, but the other airlines have only a few routes and on the routes they do fly, they have fewer flights. If they fly the route you want at the time you want, great. If not, don't worry about the legacy carriers. For example, I live in Chicago, a city with two large airports and I can't fly Alaska, Jetblue, Frontier, or Virgin except to one or two cities. None of them fly your route from Chicago to Fort Myers.

I fly all of them plus Southwest and I've had just as many problems with delays on Southwest as with the others and you can't select seats so traveling with a large group can be a problem. And if you travel light with carry ons, then the baggage fee is a non-issue. Southwest is fine, but has issues of its own. Their on time delivery lately is bad as they start moving into larger airports. They had huge problems with the recent weather delays just like the legacy carriers. So did Jet Blue. I'd use them when the fare and itinerary match but would not pick them over UA or AA otherwise.

Edited: 6:10 pm, January 08, 2014
Chicago, Illinois
10. Re: Multiple USA city flights

"The first of your trip is serviced by Southwest. Boston, Washington DC, Chicago and Ft. Myers. Having said that the airports in Washington and Chicago are on the outskirts of those cities. I believe SW also flies into Los Angeles but again I think they fly into John Wayne airstrip rather than LAX. Shuttles, taxies and buses transport into the city. They also fly into Las Vegas. I don't think that they serve Seattle or San Francisco."

There's a bunch of incorrect information in there. First, Chicago has two airports. Neither is right downtown as Chicago is a big city and it's not practical, but I'm not sure I'd call it the outskirts. Midway, where Southwest flies, is actually a bit closer to downtown than O'Hare, the main airport.

Next, Southwest flies to three Washington area airports, Dulles, BWI, and Reagan. Reagan is about as close to downtown as a major airport ever gets.

Next, Southwest not only flies to LAX, they fly to Burbank, Ontario, and also John Wayne, all in the LA area.

Southwest also flies into Seattle. And, according to their website, they fly into San Francisco airport as poster 8 mentioned.

Southwest used to fly only into smaller airports. That was part of their original strategy as a low cost carrier. Now they are large and fly into many of the major airports in the US.

Reply to: Multiple USA city flights
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted