We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aer Lingus? Delta? British Airways? HELP!

Saint Petersburg...
reviews: 12
Aer Lingus? Delta? British Airways? HELP!

My siblings and I purchased our parents a trip to Ireland for Christmas. They are leaving from either Tampa, FL or Ft. Myers FL and flying in to Dublin. The trip takes place in October. I am in the process of getting their airfare.... the only problem is I don't know who to use! I've only flown in the US and only on Delta flights. Since I have no experience with the other airlines I don't know how they compare. Are they clean? How is the customer service? Any complaints? W are going to fly them Economy Class - I know that makes a difference :) Aer Lingus has some of the cheapest fares that i've seen, but i'm afraid if I base it on price alone they will have a horrible journey. Any advice?

21 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
1. Re: Aer Lingus? Delta? British Airways? HELP!

BA and Aer Lingus are both fine. Doubt you'll notice much difference between them and Delta. I'd pick whichever has the best fare and itinerary and would not worry about service between those three choices. Any one of them can have a bad day but the odds are the flight on any of them will be fine.

And if you want to read more airline ratings, check here. Just keep in mind people only come online to complain. Few people that have uneventful flights bother posting a review.

http://www.airlinequality.com/

Edited: 10:25 pm, January 07, 2014
Nashville, TN
reviews: 8
2. Re: Aer Lingus? Delta? British Airways? HELP!

A lot of people will advise BA on here. However, I would stick with either Aer Lingus or Delta on a nonstop flight from Dublin to the US. Reason for this would be that they could then pre-clear US Immigration and Customs in Dublin and arrive in the US as if it were a domestic flight. BA unfortunately usually flies you through LHR, meaning the customs and immigration formalities are done upon arrival in the US.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
3. Re: Aer Lingus? Delta? British Airways? HELP!

I would definitely look at Aer Lingus or one of the US carriers that will fly non stop from Ireland back to the US, so you make use of US pre clearance. Much easier, especially if they'll have to connect to a domestic flight.

Note that Pre clearance is available at both Dublin and Shannon airports, so if they're going to be in the west of Ireland there's another option for flying home.

Madrid
reviews: 7
4. Re: Aer Lingus? Delta? British Airways? HELP!

Pre clearance in Shannon closes in the afternoon,so some of the late flights such as BA3 do not benefit from this.Mornings are all fine.

Romford, United...
reviews: 23
5. Re: Aer Lingus? Delta? British Airways? HELP!

I'd discount BA as no direct flights to DUB which means your Parents can't avail themselves of the pre-clearance facilities at DUB for the return flight, would opt for US Carriers or JetBlue/Aer Lingus combo as on t/a legs think Aer Lingus just about shaves it over Delta for comfort/IFE and service

Edited: 4:31 am, January 08, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 3
6. Re: Aer Lingus? Delta? British Airways? HELP!

Aer Lingus have personal TVs on all their transatlantic flights along with on-board wi-fi (€20 for 24hrs in economy). I've always found their transatlantic cabins to be very clean and also comfortable. I can't speak for the other airlines in and out of Dublin to the US but my main reason for choosing Aer Lingus is that you're guaranteed a widebody aircraft and in-flight entertainment whereas I've heard that it isn't always the case with US airlines.

Manchester, United...
7. Re: Aer Lingus? Delta? British Airways? HELP!

All 3 airlines are fine. If I had no loyalty to any of them and the schedules were all suitable, I would make my decision solely on price.

I wouldn't place too much emphasis on pre-clearing in Ireland. If Aer Lingus is cheaper, then great. But it is not as if you would be in some of purgatory if you re-entered the USA via Miami, New York, Atlanta etc.

Romford, United...
reviews: 23
8. Re: Aer Lingus? Delta? British Airways? HELP!

Re-entering the US via MIA is purgatory!!!

Limerick, Ireland
9. Re: Aer Lingus? Delta? British Airways? HELP!

You mentioned flying out of TPA and / or RSW

Have a look at Jetblue.com / Partner airlines

You can book Aerlingus flights via Jetblue.com /

Jetblue and Aerlingus share Terminal 5 at JFK

A connecting flight through Boston, would mean

a change of Terminal from C to E with hand luggage

and not checked baggage.

Edited: 5:35 am, January 08, 2014
dublin
reviews: 1
10. Re: Aer Lingus? Delta? British Airways? HELP!

If your parents could fly out of Orlando on a Tue, Thurs or Saturday the flights with Aer lingus would be direct , we have flown this route several times and have had no complaints .

Reply to: Aer Lingus? Delta? British Airways? HELP!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted