We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I bring alcohol to Sweden from New York if I'm under 21?

Corning, New York
Can I bring alcohol to Sweden from New York if I'm under 21?

I live in New York and I'm flying to Sweden in 11 days, my mom want my boyfriends mom to try Malibu Coconut Rum but I'm not sure if I can put it in my suitcase since I'm under 21. ( not my carry on).

23 replies to this topic
London, United...
reviews: 22
1. Re: Can I bring alcohol to Sweden from New York if I'm under 21?

Well, I'm sure an American will respond soon, but I thought under 21 and it was an offence to be in possession of alcohol and you could get a fine if caught? Do you and your mum not know the law in your state? I guess not or you would not be asking,

I am also surprised you can't buy Malibu in Sweden. It's a really common drink, but maybe that's because I am british and not Swedish.

Vancouver...
2. Re: Can I bring alcohol to Sweden from New York if I'm under 21?

What is the age for drinking alcohol in Sweden? Find that you and you'll know your answer. Chuck.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
3. Re: Can I bring alcohol to Sweden from New York if I'm under 21?

"I am also surprised you can't buy Malibu in Sweden. It's a really common drink, but maybe that's because I am british and not Swedish."

Froggy, have you seen the taxes on alcohol in Sweden? :-)

OP, well I'm American (naturalized) and I'm afraid I don't know the answer. If I were you I'd continue your research, as if it's an offense to be in possession of an unopened container you may find it an even worse offense under Federal Law (not just state) to transport such.

Edited: 10:00 pm, January 02, 2014
4. Re: Can I bring alcohol to Sweden from New York if I'm under 21?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 pm, January 02, 2014

London, United...
5. Re: Can I bring alcohol to Sweden from New York if I'm under 21?

Yes,,,I know it's expensive,,,:-))

Ps drinking age in Sweden is 16 in private and 18 in bars. I googled New York drinking age and it says although 21 it's only illegal if the op intends to consume it, but if not and it was given by parents then it's ok. So I think the op can do it,,,,

Corning, New York
6. Re: Can I bring alcohol to Sweden from New York if I'm under 21?

Thank you for going out of your way to find that out!! It's appreciated!

Vancouver...
7. Re: Can I bring alcohol to Sweden from New York if I'm under 21?

If the OP knows the law, then why the question, and why the snide reply? Chuck.

Corning, New York
8. Re: Can I bring alcohol to Sweden from New York if I'm under 21?

How about I've never been to another country before...?

Corning, New York
9. Re: Can I bring alcohol to Sweden from New York if I'm under 21?

I live in a small town, no one in my family has been to another country because I have a poor family, I saved up the money for about a year and now I'm the first one to travel so I don't know anything.

Vancouver...
10. Re: Can I bring alcohol to Sweden from New York if I'm under 21?

Makes sense. Trip Advisor has a lot of information for you to learn. If you go to the Sweden forum and specifically to the city in Sweden you will be going to, then you'll learn quite a bit just by reading. Good luck to you and someday, you'll be a knowledgeable, seasoned, world traveler. Chuck.

tripadvisor.com/…54983264

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g189806-i232-Swede…

Reply to: Can I bring alcohol to Sweden from New York if I'm under 21?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted