We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bribes

Bribes

Just came back from SE Asia and was exposed to blatant corruption. To get onto Vietnam Air flight from REP to HAN I had to payoff their local manger $160 US to get on a pre booked and confirmed flight for wife and myself. After seeing our US passports their check in agent said that we must see the manager. He said he had to check with his higher ups to see if could get us on our flight. After about 15 minutes he said he might be able to get us on our flight or maybe we stay on in REP for another day. He eventually said we could go after deposited our "fee" into his into his wallet and quite frankly I was happy to leave.

91 replies to this topic
UK
reviews: 84
1. Re: Bribes

Wow. I wonder if there is an official complaint you can make to VA? I'm presuming there was no receipt?

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 127
2. Re: Bribes

Why would you hand over $160 to anyone if you had a valid passport and plane ticket?

3. Re: Bribes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:03 pm, January 02, 2014

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
4. Re: Bribes

When a manager of the airline says "pay this extra fee or you're not flying today and maybe we'll get you on a flight tomorrow", what exactly are you supposed to do? Ask to see the manager's manager? Try to find some sort of police officer? You really think that is going to both work and happen fast enough to allow you to make the flight? You either pay the bribe and go on your flight. Or you refuse to pay and probably miss the flight while dealing with it.

Llanelli, United...
reviews: 192
5. Re: Bribes

I'd take the chance of missing the flight myself!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
6. Re: Bribes

Interesting post from flyertalk, dated in '07..... suggests it happened in the past. I've never had such a thing happen to me.

flyertalk.com/forum/asia/765474-vietnam-airp…

Auckland Region...
reviews: 214
7. Re: Bribes

<<< I'd take the chance of missing the flight myself! >>>

And overnight, the cost of boarding the plane increases.

It stinks but one is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Cheers.

London, United...
reviews: 22
8. Re: Bribes

I" ll be honest, I have never encountered this situation but I would be seriously tempted to take it to the nth degree. I'd want to see the supervisors supervisors and take the chance of staying an extra night, just to see where the employee took it,,,,but yeah, if someone asked me to play, I am pretty sue I would play and then some. Maybe that's why I have never encountered it.....

Vancouver...
reviews: 24
9. Re: Bribes

People; This is SE Asia. It is not Europe or North America. Don't be so ethnocentric. Things swing different in different parts of the world. Either just realize it and go with the flow or don't go. Chuck.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 36
10. Re: Bribes

Congratulations on being complicit in corruption.

Reply to: Bribes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted