We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow T5 connections help!

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 22
Heathrow T5 connections help!

I am hoping to fly EDI-JFK next April and connect at LHR.

My flight details would be as follows:

Outbound:

08:00(EDI)-->09:25(LHR)

11:20(LHR)-->13:55(JFK) [allowing 1hr 55min time between]

Inbound:

18:40(JFK)-->06:35(LHR)

08:00(LHR)-->08:00(EDI) [allowing 1hr 25min time between]

I'm aware that all my LHR flights arrive/depart from T5

All flights with British Airways (Economy)

I've got a some queries:

Regarding Edinburgh:

-Since I'm technically on a domestic flight but my end location is international should I arrive 1hr/2hr/3hr before? When will check-in open?

Regarding Heathrow:

1) Is this enough time for a connection, as I wouldn't be changing terminal?

2) What is the procedure for connections at LHR? Will I need to go through security even though my outbound flight would be domestic?

3) If I need to use T5B or T5C, how long will it take to get there?

4) (Inbound)What if my gate is right at the other end of LHR terminal, will 1hr25min be long enough to go through security and get there?

Sorry for the probably obvious questions, bit of a novice.

Any other useful info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

PS: I know I've posted in UK forum, didn't realise this one existed...woops!

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
1. Re: Heathrow T5 connections help!

1) Is this enough time for a connection, as I wouldn't be changing terminal? - The recommended time for a UK domestic to international is 60 minutes - just follow the signs for Flight Connections. There should be no security on the outbound leg

The recommended time on your return is also 60 minutes but you'll need to clear security - more information on the LHR website which gives clear instructions.

heathrowairport.com/heathrow-airport-guide/f…

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Manchester
reviews: 250
2. Re: Heathrow T5 connections help!

In my experience your outward leg should be fine. Your inbound journey could be tight. If the flight is on time you should be fine. But sometimes getting the plane down at Heathrow can be a pain. Then they might put you down somewhere where you will need to get either the bus or the train back to arrivals. You then have to go through a couple of immigration checks and then security. Your flight to Edinburgh will be in T5A, so it's not far after you clear security.

If you have a tight connection use the fast track lanes, or tell one of the staff, they do sometimes get you up the queue. I have had a few similar connections and I have mostly made it, but a couple of times my bags did not.

Also if you get duty free at JFK on your way home make sure its in a sealed bag, I have lost count at the times I have seen people getting their booze taken off them when they re-enter security at Heathrow.

Edited: 10:43 am, December 30, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
reviews: 6
3. Re: Heathrow T5 connections help!

Correction: Even if you are T5 to T5 on the outbound leg, You'll still have to go through security. Also, you must have cleared security at least 35 minutes before your outbound flight.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
4. Re: Heathrow T5 connections help!

"Correction: Even if you are T5 to T5 on the outbound leg, You'll still have to go through security." - According to the LHR website there is no security for a T5 Domestic arrival to T5 International Departure.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Manchester
reviews: 250
5. Re: Heathrow T5 connections help!

There's no security after you get off the Edinburgh flight. Just follows signs for flight connections, have your JFK boarding pass handy and show that to one of the staff. You then just walk through to the T5 shopping area, airside.

Guildford, England
reviews: 13
6. Re: Heathrow T5 connections help!

#3 is incorrect. You only go through security again if you are transferring international to international in T5 which is probably what #3 does.

Cookham Dean...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
reviews: 3
7. Re: Heathrow T5 connections help!

Does it matter whether post 3 is not correct? Plenty of time for the OP to connect both ways.

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 112
8. Re: Heathrow T5 connections help!

Use T.5 to go to Pisa all going well in March done it a few times .Even allthough my flights to and from Glasgow leave enough time to make the connection the tour company i am going with recomend at least two hours between flights .So an earlier flight to T.5 and on the way back a later connection home.Better safe and sorry i say once had about an hour between planes aircraft delayed by about thirty five minutes from up here made connection but only just so i think i would leave a bit more time.

Guildford, England
reviews: 13
9. Re: Heathrow T5 connections help!

Yes Tilly I think telling somebody that #3 is wrong is a good idea. The OP says they are a novice and telling them that that advice is wrong might help them feel less stressfull because they know not to expect it..

London
reviews: 37
10. Re: Heathrow T5 connections help!

If you DO need to clear security at T5, it will be done as part of the 'Flight Connections' process. There will be no need to go through Immigration and re-enter again. Don't forget that the Airport and airlines employ people who are there specifically to help you and guide you through the process.

What is pertinent though, is getting to the gate in good time! I would want to be there 30 minutes before departure, so although the OP has plenty of time in both directions he/she shouldn't hang about.

Edited: 8:57 am, December 31, 2013