We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair - you must be among the first 90 to board...

Travelling The World
reviews: 18
Ryanair - you must be among the first 90 to board...

... to keep your hand luggage with you in the cabin

This is a new rule from their FAQs:

"Due to cabin space limitations only 90 cabin bags (55 x 40 x 20 cms) can be carried in the cabin, any remainder will be carried free of charge in the aircraft hold."

It seems pretty clear that there is no option, although I would imagine that if there are 91 people on the flight and there is room they won't force the last person to board to gate check their bag.

Given that Ryanair 737s carry up to 189 people, this rule means that more than half on a full flight will need to gate check their bag.

Edited: 7:04 am, December 30, 2013
89 replies to this topic
Watford, United...
reviews: 12
1. Re: Ryanair - you must be among the first 90 to board...

...So the queues at the gate which are no longer a problem due to allocated seating could be a probem again?

Travelling The World
2. Re: Ryanair - you must be among the first 90 to board...

Looks that way.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
3. Re: Ryanair - you must be among the first 90 to board...

If the bag is delivered at the steps when disembarking I won't mind gate checking the bag.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
4. Re: Ryanair - you must be among the first 90 to board...

EEE gads, that sounds like a recipe for disaster. I can just imagine the pushing to be in the first 90. In terms of bags being delivered at the steps--I still wouldn't want m camera and meds out of my sight--at all!!! It would seem to me that it would be smarter to decrease the size of the allowed bag and let EVERYONE take something on the plane. This makes, in essence, second class citizens. ( who are paying the same) I look forward to seeing how this pans out.

Travelling The World
5. Re: Ryanair - you must be among the first 90 to board...

"If the bag is delivered at the steps when disembarking I won't mind gate checking the bag."

If they operate it like they do oversized bag gate check it will be available at baggage reclaim. It would take quite a while to offload 90+ bags from the hold and bring them around to the aircraft door. No airport is going to want 90 people milling around on the tarmac, then having a free-for-all as they try to find bags in the pile, Works on a commuter with a dozen or so bags gate-checked but I can't see it in this scenario.

Not to mention that Ryanair is going to want to board the next flight as quickly as possible, and they can't do that until all passengers from the previous flight are inside the terminal (or at least well away from the aircraft).

"it would be smarter to decrease the size of the allowed bag and let EVERYONE take something on the plane"

Or (here's a radical solution) allow a free checked bag (which is what they are in essence doing for half their passengers) and charge like Spirit does for a standard cabin bag (along with a free personal item).

Edited: 7:30 am, December 30, 2013
London
reviews: 73
6. Re: Ryanair - you must be among the first 90 to board...

Surely a 738 can store more than 90 standard sized bags in the overhead bins?

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
7. Re: Ryanair - you must be among the first 90 to board...

Maybe this has been added into the Ts & Cs to simply cover themselves should someone moan about having their bag checked should the bins be full?

It is going to be the last batch of boarders who are at risk of this in any case so the 90 people figure would hold up in any circumstances.

UK
reviews: 81
8. Re: Ryanair - you must be among the first 90 to board...

Out of interest, what defines boarding order now?

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 34
9. Re: Ryanair - you must be among the first 90 to board...

I would think PBs followed by everyone else. I suppose they may board by seat row, but until allocated seating starts 1st Feb I guess it's wait and see.

Derbyshire
reviews: 73
10. Re: Ryanair - you must be among the first 90 to board...

I'm not sure off-hand what the measurements of my rucksack is (it's in the loft) but it is definitely within the maximum dimensions.

The way I pack it, it ALWAYS fits under the seat in front with no problem.

So what happens if I'm the 91st person to board and they want me to check my bag and I want it under the seat in front?

Reply to: Ryanair - you must be among the first 90 to board...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted