We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expectations if AA flight is late and we miss connection?

Chicagoland
Expectations if AA flight is late and we miss connection?

We are booked to fly Jan. 1 with AA from ORD to DFW to OGG. Weather has me nervous about the first leg to DFW. We bought coach and used miles to upgrade because we want first only on a 767. We'd rather stay home and wait to get that 767 flight than be switched to some 757 on Jan. 1. What are our options? First leg is due DFW at 10:40 a.m. Second leg departs DFW at noon.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 74
1. Re: Expectations if AA flight is late and we miss connection?

You don't have many options this late other than to hope the weather is good. You do have a pretty tight connection.

If the first leg is late and you miss the connection, AA will put you on the next flight with available seats. They'll also try to re-route you through another city if they can get you there faster this way. If you want to wait a day to stay in first, you can do that. You m ay have to ask. They might not do that automatically. But keep in mind if first is booked the next day, you may have to wait more than overnight. When the weather is bad, there's typically a lot of people with messed up connections all trying to get space on the next available flight to their destination.

Chicagoland
2. Re: Expectations if AA flight is late and we miss connection?

Thanks, wes. I'm guessing we HAVE to go out to ORD and board the flight to DFW, even if AA knows it will never reach DFW in time for us to get the flight to OGG. Is there anything I could do today to re-jigger this? We aren't anxious to get there fast; will be there a month. We just want to get the nice first class on the 767.

Edited: 7:25 pm, December 29, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 74
3. Re: Expectations if AA flight is late and we miss connection?

You can call today to change the flight but there will be some sort of cancellation charge, which could be a lot. To state the obvious, at this point you're worrying about what might happen. You're not late yet and you have not missed your connection. So all you can do today is pay to change the flight.

On the day of departure if your first flight is delayed to where you will miss the connection, you can rebook it at no charge. Unless it's a huge snowstorm and they start cancelling flights ahead of time, you'll have to go to the airport. If your flight is late, go up to the gate agent or one of the re-booking centers in the terminal or call AA on your cell and they'll rebook you at no charge.

Nashville, TN
reviews: 8
4. Re: Expectations if AA flight is late and we miss connection?

No options offered, just a simple message about what happened to me a few years ago;

Scheduled to fly BNA/DFW/CDG on AA (economy class) for a family reunion. Flight was on a Saturday and due to a snowstorm in NYC (where the AA flight originated) I missed my connection in DFW. No other flights available to get me to CDG that night. AA put me up for the night and covered my meals. The next morning they flew me on AA to ORD, where they had arranged Business Class seating on an AF (not an AA partner airline) flight to CDG.

Will this happen to you? Probably not, but it shows that if you do miss your connection, the airline will take care of getting you there.

Chicagoland
5. Re: Expectations if AA flight is late and we miss connection?

Thanks, Wes and Vegas. Looks like we will proceed to ORD New Year's Day. IF it looks like we will miss our connection at DFW, we can ask to be re-booked on the whole ticket for another day. At least then we could go home and try again on the subsequent date -- not be stuck in Dallas or put on a lesser aircraft. Sooo sorry AA no longer flies nonstop ORD-HNL. They also moved our Jan. 1 departure from ORD from mid-morning to 8:15 a.m. (I won't even start in on the fares having nearly doubled over our 2013 trip!)

6. Re: Expectations if AA flight is late and we miss connection?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 01, 2015