We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Up Ltd - fraudsters?

Glasgow
reviews: 15
Travel Up Ltd - fraudsters?

Ho,

Has anyone had any bother with Travel Up of late?

We booked a flight from Glasgow to Bangkok using Skyscanner to lead us to Travel Up who offered one of the cheapest flights and despite payment receipt and issue of an electronic ticket, none of the 3-stage flights were booked when we turned up at Glasgow Airport this afternoon.

It would appear that Travel Up made some sort of contact with KLM/Etihad/Aer Lingus but never finalised the payment, thereby leading to no flight bookings despite initial reservation.

This has resulted in last minute extortionate new flights as we have commitments in Thailand which we must arrive for this weekend.

How do you suggest we go about taking this matter further? ATOL, ABTA?

Thank you.

36 replies to this topic
Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
1. Re: Travel Up Ltd - fraudsters?

Atol isn't a governing body, it's a financial bonding licence, and Travelup aren't Abta members.

Glasgow
2. Re: Travel Up Ltd - fraudsters?

But they are bound by ATOL rules right?

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
3. Re: Travel Up Ltd - fraudsters?

Atol don't have rules. It's just an air travel organisers licence which provides a financial failure bond to cover air holidays they sell. It has nothing to do with anything else.

Ayr, Scotland
reviews: 6
4. Re: Travel Up Ltd - fraudsters?

OP - had the payment been taken from your account?

Rotten situation ;-(

Glasgow
5. Re: Travel Up Ltd - fraudsters?

Yeh, payment was taken and e:tickets issued...

Contacted Skyscanner too as surprised they allow such a company to be linked to them.

Romford, United...
reviews: 23
6. Re: Travel Up Ltd - fraudsters?

Skyscanner are not that particular, just as long as they pay their fees

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
7. Re: Travel Up Ltd - fraudsters?

This must be one of those times where filing a dispute with your credit card company for services not provided would be effective. You've got all the necessary documents to show that TU did not serve you. I don't think you will have much chance of getting the last minute fare amounts back, but certainly the bank would look at reversing the charges with TU.

Shropshire
reviews: 28
8. Re: Travel Up Ltd - fraudsters?

I had very bad exprience with other 3rd party company. I paid for my tickets £1800, money was taken from my account, I had booking ref, etc. Only because I always check everything I rang the airlines which we booked flight. They said that the booking was made for us but the agent never paid for the tickets and they have cancelled reservation. I contacted Atol and they said that they protect only in case of agent or airline bancrupcy. I contatcetd my credit card bank and also sent them letter. Thankfully they gave me money back within few days.

Cala d'Or, Spain
reviews: 90
9. Re: Travel Up Ltd - fraudsters?

Travel Up Ltd, operate out of a small terrace house. no 511 Oxford Road, Reading, Berks and is owned by a Mr Ali Shah.

The house is in a pretty grotty area of Reading and is residential rather than commercial offices. Their ATOL number 7227 is genuine but will only protect you if the company goes bust.

The website looks great, but then anyone can knock up a genuine looking website in a few days.

Personally, I would not touch this outfit with a bargepole.

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
10. Re: Travel Up Ltd - fraudsters?

1) Money back for original non flight via CC provider.

2) In future research who you give your hard earned to. If you must go with a third party make it a reputable one like Expedia or Ebookers. The general advice is book directly with the airline.

Reply to: Travel Up Ltd - fraudsters?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted