We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1hour 35 mins layover is it do able?

Dublin, Ireland
1hour 35 mins layover is it do able?

i'm going on a holiday, and i'm traveling from Ireland to USA but on flights i am looking at i can either pick a 7 hour wait in Chicago to get my connecting flight, or do a 1hour and 35 mins dash to catch other flight which will be from terminal 5 and i got to catch my connecting flight terminal 3...i am bringing a carryon bag so i dont have to pick up bags which i think will cut time down..but i am totally unsure?? this be my first time flying ever and i am at a total loss as what to pick??

15 replies to this topic
leeds, uk
Destination Expert
for Leeds
reviews: 257
1. Re: 1hour 35 mins layover is it do able?

i'd go via london

BUT enquire if your bags are CHECKED all the way through to the end!!

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 13
2. Re: 1hour 35 mins layover is it do able?

Are you flying from Dublin with pre clearance of US Immigration/Customs - if so you arrive as a domestic flight and the 95 minute connection is tight but should be doable as long as your flight is on time.

If no pre clearance then I don't think 95 minutes is enough to clear Immigration/Customs and catch the connection.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 13
3. Re: 1hour 35 mins layover is it do able?

"BUT enquire if your bags are CHECKED all the way through to the end!!" - Bags may be tagged to the final destination but always have to be collected at point of entry to the US for customs clearance unless you pre clear at airports such as Dublin that offer this service.

Dublin, Ireland
4. Re: 1hour 35 mins layover is it do able?

i was going to fly from london cause its alot cheaper that way and since i be over there for a b-day a few days before i got to flight to the US..but since yous have said about the pre clearance i might get a flight from dublin and pay the extra for the flight now.

Romford, United...
reviews: 23
5. Re: 1hour 35 mins layover is it do able?

Do DUB-ORD with a connection at ORD on a frequent basis and assuming that flight arrives on time T3-T3 never takes me more than 20 mins, the pre-clearance at DUB is worth it's weight in gold as far as I'm concerned but as Tom mentioned just make certain your bags are checked through all the way

Edited: 7:54 am, December 22, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 80
6. Re: 1hour 35 mins layover is it do able?

for a 1st time flyer I would recommend keeping it as simple as possible and flying from DUB using the pre-clearance facility.

If you do not make your connection, the airline will get you on the next *available* flight assuming you are traveling on the one ticket.

Dublin, Ireland
7. Re: 1hour 35 mins layover is it do able?

i'll double make sure my bag is checked all way through, and i think making the travel as simple as possible is a good idea now, i am traveling with american airlines cause heard they are best for prices and flights..i'm praying they are as good as i heard about

Romford, United...
8. Re: 1hour 35 mins layover is it do able?

On the Dublin Airport site there is a link which explains the pre-clearance procedure and as Katy pointed out as a first time flyer would consider this by far the simplest and easiest route to take

Romford, United...
9. Re: 1hour 35 mins layover is it do able?

Never had a problem with AA but the IFE is by overhead screen and is pretty awful in coach so would recommend loading up your dvd player or tablet with your favourite films etc

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
10. Re: 1hour 35 mins layover is it do able?

Hundreds of thousands of people travel without pre-clearance of immigration/customs. Unless you are a total idiot ( which I doubt) there is no reason for you NOT to save the money--especially if it is considerable and go through customs/immigration in the US. It is not that hard. Surely easier than traveling around a new country ( which isn't hard either) The main downside is I would not do it on a 95 minute connection. You have to decide which is more valuable to you, but being a first time traveler should not, IMO, be factored into the equation.

Reply to: 1hour 35 mins layover is it do able?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted