We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Australian on UK work visa and travel to Spain one way

London, United...
reviews: 7
Australian on UK work visa and travel to Spain one way

Hello,

I'm in London at the moment on a Youth Mobility visa but I want to travel to Spain for a short period before I start working in a couple of months. I don't particularly want to buy a return ticket to London because I'm not sure of when I'll be back (I may want to visit friends in France), nor do I know if I want to travel by air, bus, or train.

I'm not planning to stay in the Schengen zone for more than 90 days, but it's difficult to find clear information on the one way ticket issue.

Should I just provide a print out of funds and explain? Or with the UK visa be enough?

Or am I just way overthinking this and there will be no issue at all?

Thank you, everyone!

12 replies to this topic
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
1. Re: Australian on UK work visa and travel to Spain one way

Simple answer - nobody knows. Plenty of Colonial Commoners on Tier 5 visas do travel to Schengen countries with no problems, but some do have problems. Just don't make it look as if your intention is to overstay or - worse - work

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent
reviews: 68
2. Re: Australian on UK work visa and travel to Spain one way

As you are travelling in a visa and not a passport, I suggest you consult your own embassy. If they provide information from their website, print it and take it with you.

You may find you are not allowed to board a flight/ferry or Eurostar out of the UK if you don't have a return ticket. Travellers here on trip adviser are not immigration experts.

Hanau, Germany
reviews: 8
3. Re: Australian on UK work visa and travel to Spain one way

I don't think you'll have a problem since there are so many ways to get back to the UK, you have a visa for the UK so why should you try to overstay in Schengen, in case some body asks just tell them you take the ferry back, I never book that before and I don't think to many others do unless you want to cross with a car during high season.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent
reviews: 68
4. Re: Australian on UK work visa and travel to Spain one way

With respect Uta, the OP is not a European national, so the immigration rules about leaving and returning to the UK are very different.

Sam F.... probably best to consult the Australian immigration services regarding the terms and conditions of your youth mobility visa.

UK
reviews: 87
5. Re: Australian on UK work visa and travel to Spain one way

in case some body asks just tell them you take the ferry back

========

And how will that help if the airline says "you are required by us to have a plane ticket out of your destination, i cant see it, you cant get on this plane" ?

Its not just the immigration rules once you arrive in the country, its also what the transport company (airlines, Eurostar etc) require before they let you board. These are sometimes much stricter than what the country requires and never more lax.

Sam, you may not know yet how you are leaving the UK, but once you decide, check on that companies website for more info. For example no passport is required for UK nationals to visit Jersey. There is a cruise company who require you to have one before boarding. Going to Guatamala from USA all you need is a ticket of any type (ferry, plane, train bus whatever) leaving there. American Airlines require you to have a plane ticket only.

p.s your Avatar says you are in Cambodia?

Hanau, Germany
6. Re: Australian on UK work visa and travel to Spain one way

Since he's Australien he can visit Schengen under the VWP for 90 days, having a long term visa for the UK makes it very likely that he returns there, so I don't think he'll run into problems, he still could buy a very cheap throw away ticket with Ryanair to prove that he's returning, just in case he runs into overzealous check-in staff.

UK
reviews: 26
7. Re: Australian on UK work visa and travel to Spain one way

"Since he's Australien he can visit Schengen under the VWP for 90 days"

While I know what you are really trying to say (i.e., that Australians don't need a visa to visit Schengen for up to 90 days) VWP is the wrong term to use. VWP is something that relates quite specifically to the USA - who introduced such a programme in the 1980s, having previously required all visitors to have a visa. The countries that now make up Schengen never had such a universal visa requirement, and they never introduced a specific programme to waive a visa requirement.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_Waiver_Program

To get back to the original question - the information in Timatic (which is the authoritative source that airlines use) appears to be somewhat ambiguous...this is what Timatic says when you enter Australian as nationality and Spain as destination:

=====================

Visitors travelling as tourist are required to hold proof of

sufficient funds to cover their stay (EUR 62.40, per day of

stay with a minimum of EUR 561.60, or equivalent in other

freely convertible currency), an invitation letter ( Carta

de Invitacion ) or a confirmation of hotel accommodation and

documents required for their next destination

====================

What is the definition of "documents required for their next destination", and does the "and" before it related to all three options that come before it or only the last one (i.e., confirmation of hotel accommodation)?

To be on the safe side I'd just get some kind of changeable/refundable ticket from somewhere (anywhere) in Schengen back to the UK.

Edited: 10:40 am, December 22, 2013
London, United...
reviews: 7
8. Re: Australian on UK work visa and travel to Spain one way

I figured as much.

I'm in London now - I really have to update my account location. I'm just searching the web for the cheapest flight out of the Schengen zone back to the U.K.

Thanks, everyone.

Hanau, Germany
9. Re: Australian on UK work visa and travel to Spain one way

https:/… play around with RA, you might find something cheaper but 15,-- € isn't the world to throw away.

UK
reviews: 26
10. Re: Australian on UK work visa and travel to Spain one way

Don't limit yourself to flights... look at ferries as well. Especially if you're not sure if your plans are final.

You may be lucky and find a flight for £20 that you can just throw away if your plans change. But if not then a ferry may be your cheapest option

Reply to: Australian on UK work visa and travel to Spain one way
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted