We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brindabella Airlines Gone Bust?

Raymond Terrace...
reviews: 26
Brindabella Airlines Gone Bust?

I have a flight booked with Brindabella Airlines on Monday 23rd December Sydney to Newcastle. I went to the website just now to look at another booking, and see the announcement that Brindabella Airlines has appointed receivers and managers. Nobody from Brindabella Airlines has contacted me at all, and had I not gone to the website just now to check, I'd have fronted up for my flight on Monday being none the wiser.

I have looked at the website and there are instructions on how to go about claiming my airfare payment back, but I actually purchased the airfare when the airline was still Aeropelican, before it was amalgamated with Brindabella. Can I still make a claim through my bank?

I'm still in shock ...

18 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel
reviews: 42
1. Re: Brindabella Airlines Gone Bust?

Goodness, it appears so;

smh.com.au/nsw/passengers-stranded-by-brinda…

This was the first I had heard of it, but I don't take regional flight regularly.

Raymond Terrace...
2. Re: Brindabella Airlines Gone Bust?

Interesting .... thanks for the info. I was going to try and book with Regional Express, but no cheap seats available so I have to rent a car instead. I am not sure if my travel insurance covers refunding airfares because an airline has gone belly up.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
3. Re: Brindabella Airlines Gone Bust?

I'm not sure travel insurance will cover it, as policies vary grearly from product to product. But if you purchased it online using a credit card, many cc issuers have automatic purchase cover. I'd be checking with the bank first and foremost.

Raymond Terrace...
4. Re: Brindabella Airlines Gone Bust?

Yes, I will contact my bank.

5. Re: Brindabella Airlines Gone Bust?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 am, July 09, 2014

Brisbane, Australia
6. Re: Brindabella Airlines Gone Bust?

I saw this on the Qantas website the other day. It may be of some help.

qantasnewsroom.com.au/media-releases/qantas-…

Edit....If not to you, maybe others.

Edited: 4:18 pm, December 20, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
7. Re: Brindabella Airlines Gone Bust?

>>>Do people live under rocks in Raymond Terrace?<<<

Where did this come from? She was just sharing news that not everybody heard about.

She could have been busy, could have been abroad.

Great first post.

Edited: 4:43 pm, December 20, 2013
Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 32
8. Re: Brindabella Airlines Gone Bust?

Umm well it made big news here in Adelaide (and Brindabella doesn't even fly here) - so I'm surprised too that someone in Raymond Tce didn't know about it.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 29
9. Re: Brindabella Airlines Gone Bust?

Yep has been very well covered in the media all week in print, Tv and online, and Virgin released a press release advising what they were doing to assist passengers quite early on in the week.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 24
10. Re: Brindabella Airlines Gone Bust?

Unfortunately most travel insurance doesn't cover airlne insolvency. I found this out the hard way when Strategic/Australian airlines went belly up. Your bank may be able to cancel the credit card transaction.

I read the newspaper and watch the TV news every day and didn't hear about Brindabella, I obviously wasn't paying attention.

Reply to: Brindabella Airlines Gone Bust?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted