We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dubrovnik to Istanbul

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 1
Dubrovnik to Istanbul

I'm wondering if there is rail service between these countries. I'm travelling from Vancouver, Canada for 2 weeks in Croatia and would love to visit Istanbul while in that part of the world.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 181
1. Re: Dubrovnik to Istanbul

There is a Train Travel forum here on TripAdvisor - here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12483-Train_Tr…

But, the best resource I know for European train travel is www.seat61.com . But, I think flying might be quicker.

Edited: 9:09 pm, December 16, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
2. Re: Dubrovnik to Istanbul

Hi skinnychicken ~

The distance Dubrovnik to Istanbul is about 1300 km. The same distance as Vancouver through Jasper and Edmonton to Lloydminster, on the AB/SK border. VIA Rail to Lloydminster takes about 30 hours. I'm not sure if that part of Europe has mountains like the Rockies to go through, so the European route might take just 24 hours. I mention this because you have 2 weeks. It would possibly take 2 days there and 2 days back to wherever your plane was leaving from, unless you bought multi city plane tickets. You will receive more expertise on the Rail Travel forum, I just wanted to mention this as a heads up.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 97
3. Re: Dubrovnik to Istanbul

Agree re the rail travel forum.

I investigated this rail trip last year and I gave up after hitting innumerable issues.......

Flying is the quickest option by far, and can be done relatively cheaply even considering that it can sometimes be a bit of a pain, as you'll need to change at least once.

As an aside, in the end we caught a Jadrolnija day ferry from Dubrovnik to Bari (Italy) then an overnight Super Fast ferry from Bari to Patras (Greece). We hung around Greece for a couple of weeks then flew from Athens to Istanbul.....wasn't the quickest trip, but it was fabulous !

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 1
4. Re: Dubrovnik to Istanbul

First time user for this forum and very impressed and grateful for the replies, advice and info...this is great. thanks, i'm still months away from the trip (planning for 4weeks total) next September. I have so many questions, haven't travelled much, now reading books and watching videos and searching internet sources.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
5. Re: Dubrovnik to Istanbul

Well, the beginning of lots of adventures then.

To see a directory of all the forums on TA, go up to the green navigation bar and hover over "More", then choose "Travel Forums" from the drop down list. You will get a new page with a list on the left of the major Destination Travel Forums, and on the right you will get a truncated Beyond Destinations Forums which you can expand to a full list. This will help you choose the most appropriate forum for any question you might have.

You can also look just above your head avatar and click open the tiny blue print word "All" which will take you to the directory of forums as well.

When you know the Destination Forum you want, type the words into the search field above the green nav bar, e.g. Dubrovnik Forums, to be taken to that forum. The Beyond Destinations Forums has another location to click open in the sidebar to the right of the page, under the list of Destination Experts (on a real computer).

Create some new folders in your Favourites and save this thread and any others you may create or want to keep for your travel planning.

Remember to Google search for Tourism [location] websites.

Enjoy!

Edited: 12:55 am, December 17, 2013
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
6. Re: Dubrovnik to Istanbul

To add to everything already written, there is no railway station in Dubrovnik. (Well, there is, but it closed about 40 years ago.)

Cookham Dean...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
7. Re: Dubrovnik to Istanbul

and to add to post 6 - the nearest railway station is likely to be Split, and then with 4 changes it would take 56 hours...Split, Zagreb, Beograde, Sofia, Istanbul...forget it!

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 97
8. Re: Dubrovnik to Istanbul

#6 and #7 - that's exactly why I gave up the rail fantasy pretty quickly :)

Happy researching skinnychicken

Split, Croatia
9. Re: Dubrovnik to Istanbul

I would suggest to go by plane - the easiest and the fastest way.

anyway I was wondering why You will be leaving Croatia after coming to Dubrovnik?

Do not waste Your time traveling to Istanbul - there are so many beautiful cities and places worth to visit in Croatia and believe me two weeks would be so little time to visit all of them.

Split, Croatia
10. Re: Dubrovnik to Istanbul

I would suggest to go by plane - the easiest and the fastest way.

anyway I was wondering why You will be leaving Croatia after coming to Dubrovnik?

Do not waste Your time traveling to Istanbul - there are so many beautiful cities and places worth to visit in Croatia and believe me two weeks would be so little time to visit all of them.