We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel agencies pay with my credit card or their own funds?

Milan, Italy
Travel agencies pay with my credit card or their own funds?

I am wondering. When I buy a ticket through a travel agency, does the travel agency bill me first and then pay the airline directly with their own funds?

A family member has agreed to lend me money to get back home and their last name is different than mine since they are on my mother's side of the family. They are planning to use their credit card however Air France has strict rules. If the family members book's through a travel agency, will I have any trouble when checking in at the airport?

***Can I purchase an e-ticket for someone else?***

Due to increased credit card fraud problems, Air France does not accept third party payments (the credit card holder not being the passenger or part of the group traveling together). Exception: We allow payments for family members with the same surname. Please make sure the family member you book for brings the personal identifier you specified during booking to check in at the airport (this applies to e-tickets only).

Edited: 4:54 pm, December 14, 2013
17 replies to this topic
1. Re: Travel agencies pay with my credit card or their own funds?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:00 pm, December 14, 2013
Edited: 5:00 pm, December 14, 2013

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
2. Re: Travel agencies pay with my credit card or their own funds?

When I use a travel agency here they ask me for MY credit card to pay.

Why don't you just use a different airline? They don't all follow the rules that Air France described. I have used my credit card to buy tickets on Delta for my son and his g-friend and they don't have the same last name as mine. They did not have to show the credit card used for the purchase they just needed their passports as ID.

Milan, Italy
3. Re: Travel agencies pay with my credit card or their own funds?

I think you misunderstood my question.

I don't want to fly through JFK since I've read the negative reviews. Plus the flight is shorter with KLM or AIr France.

Edited: 5:00 pm, December 14, 2013
Milan, Italy
4. Re: Travel agencies pay with my credit card or their own funds?

I need to travel to Toronto, Canada.

5. Re: Travel agencies pay with my credit card or their own funds?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:31 pm, December 14, 2013

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
6. Re: Travel agencies pay with my credit card or their own funds?

I didn't misunderstand you but you didn't post all the necessary details to give relevant advice!! IF you don't want to deal with Air France then you'll have to find another airline .

IF you don't like the ones I suggested then find some others!!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
7. Re: Travel agencies pay with my credit card or their own funds?

In most cases (ie reputable travel agents) you pay the agent (who bills you) and the agent pays the airline.

I think what you are looking for here is to avoid any issue whereby your family member would have to turn up at the airport's check in and show the airline the credit card used to pay for the flight, or go to some other extra effort of visit an airport and complete an affidavit stating that they are willingly using their card to buy your ticket. All of that is required to minimize/eliminate the airlines' risk to credit card fraud.

If that's the case then that is usually covered by using a travel agent, as then the agent is assuming the risk of a fraudulently used card and not the airline.

Make sure you use a reputable full service travel agent who can verify what you're looking to do here. Don't rely on an online booker for this.

London, United...
reviews: 1
8. Re: Travel agencies pay with my credit card or their own funds?

The rule you mentioned applies only if you book/pay direct with the airline online. If you use a travel agent you will pay the travel agent, the credit card receipt will show the travel agency not the airline and the booking is made by the travel agent.

australia
reviews: 17
9. Re: Travel agencies pay with my credit card or their own funds?

Flightcentre in Australia use their store cards to pay for tickets if booking directly on the web. Any agency that uses the IATA BSP settlement method for bookings will not be using the customers credit card with the airline.

AS suggested walk into a travel agency store and pay cash/credit card or have the family member drop you off at the airport and show the card at check-in

Edited: 6:47 pm, December 14, 2013
Nashville, TN
reviews: 8
10. Re: Travel agencies pay with my credit card or their own funds?

"In most cases (ie reputable travel agents) you pay the agent (who bills you) and the agent pays the airline."

Not always true. Most agencies don't have unlimited funds on their own accounts. What usually happens is that the agency verifies the card (either by running, but not posting the charge or by running a small 1 or 2 dollar charge) and then the information is passed through to the airline which actually posts the charge and collects the funds. That's why you see so many double billing questions or people asking why they have a charge for fees from a company like Orbitz but no airline ticket charge. They are actually processed as 2 separate items by 2 separate entities.

Reply to: Travel agencies pay with my credit card or their own funds?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted