We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I book a open Jaw flight in the us?

Murrieta, California
Can I book a open Jaw flight in the us?

In the past I took my family on a trip that was from lax to nyc to orlando back to lax. I used my delta skymiles. It was called a open jaw flight. I was wondering if I can do this without a rewards flight.

4 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
1. Re: Can I book a open Jaw flight in the us?

Sure, just choose the multi-city option on the airline website.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
2. Re: Can I book a open Jaw flight in the us?

Absolutely you can, yes. Simply use the multi-destination option you (probably) used, and just don't select the award ticket option.

I'm currently in the middle of an open jaw itinerary on United. And a very open jaw it is; PDX-Delhi and Shanghai-PDX (the jaw is so wide open it's more "broken jaw"). And it was $800 cheaper to book it that way than a round trip option (such as PDX-PVG or PDX-HKG rt). And that's excluding the onward flights to connect up my itinerary (which all came to less than that $800). So open jaws do work. :-)

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 345
3. Re: Can I book a open Jaw flight in the us?

With awards, it may be the same # of miles if you book one-way for each leg. That's been my experience. "Open jaw" is a term widely used here, and even in the industry, but is not one you typically see on airline Web sites. You can choose "Multi-City" and do all at once, or choose "One-Way," and, either way, check "Book Award Travel." I've found one-way economy tix for domestic flights ranging from 25k to 60k, depending on route, time and day.

Sometimes other carriers are used (we used Delta miles to fly from BUR to SEA, and were on an Alaska Airlines plane-- Delta site said had to wait until the airport to get seat assignments, but I just called Alaska and got our seats).

Edited: 1:48 pm, December 11, 2013
Mount Kenya...
4. Re: Can I book a open Jaw flight in the us?

Yeah you can if you just choose the diffrent city in that airline site...

Best of luck

Reply to: Can I book a open Jaw flight in the us?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted